Traveling Apron Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Traveling Apron's Rules - Please Vote!

• Total voters
So here's what some of the stipulations will be, this time around:

1. 1 apron
2. 1 week (7 days)
3. All will send me their vital information before they get to receive the apron. PS - I will keep it all in a book, and I promise it will be confidential.
4. There was a little notebook, and I think that keeping that 'tradition' would be a nice thing.
5. I think it would be best to start the apron (once's it's boxed up and all) with the next person on our original list, which was Cara. Eventually it will come back around, and by then imagine all the signatures!:)
6. I will keep a paypal account for shipping reasons. If anyone needs an extra little bit for shipping, I can send it right over, so there will never be any money in the box. If anyone wins the lottery, they can send a couple of dollars to the account.;)

Now for the finer details:

1. Aside from the apron, it seems lightweight got 12 votes, while other items as well got 17. This is really close! A suggestion is that whomever sends the box does some thinking before placing anything inside. As lovely as something may be, please consider the weight.

2. We had 19 people agree that a minimum of 200 posts must be made before the apron can be sent to a member. I realized how quickly it is to get postings, especially if we play the games, so maybe 400 or 500 may be a better idea. Thoughts?

3. We had 27 people agree that a minimum of 3 ACTIVE months on the board must be held before the apron can be sent to a member. Is that sufficient time, or should it be a longer time? Keep in mind, as someone brilliantly pointed out that you could be on the waiting list for many months before you actually get it!

What would you put in the box besides the apron itself? I thought the photos and signatures on the apron was all.

Actually, there weren't photos - those were posted in the member photos (so at least we have those!)
Also, we handwrote recipes specifically for the next person in line and then as it went along, more creativity followed.

Best to read the whole original apron thread (if you have a free afternoon!) and it will have all the info you'd ever want to read......and then some!

BTW, I did go ahead and order the Discuss Cooking apron, so now we'll look really official!

Okay, so how far down the list am I???:) I figure by the time I get it, I'll have figured out how to post pictures. I'm still trying to post the Mardi Gras pictures and the pictures of the bird house worthy of a photo spread in Town and Country.

I'm going with the flow.....whatever you all want is truely okay with me.

jkath..... can you post the list of who's next? I think I was 2nd when it came to here in the states but I want to be sure.....I can't find the original thread. Thanks!

jkath said:
2. We had 19 people agree that a minimum of 200 posts must be made before the apron can be sent to a member. I realized how quickly it is to get postings, especially if we play the games, so maybe 400 or 500 may be a better idea. Thoughts?

But for those of us who don't do the games or other really off topic things, it is harder to get posts - especially if we aren't here everyday. But does that mean we are less dependable or less interested? If it goes to a number above 300 - please remove me from the list since I don't have that many posts and won't try to get them just to be a part of it ... sorry to be a crab about it but this one rubs me the wrong way.

For a solution for relative new comers who wish to join in, if they are in the north american continent, place them later down the line on the list. Then we can re-evalutate the status of them later on. While there are many who would pop in for a short period of time and then go away from the forum, and it can be hard to tell the difference at the beginning, it would be a shame to shun someone who are destined to be valued regular in coming days.

JMediger said:
But for those of us who don't do the games or other really off topic things, it is harder to get posts - especially if we aren't here everyday. But does that mean we are less dependable or less interested? If it goes to a number above 300 - please remove me from the list since I don't have that many posts and won't try to get them just to be a part of it ... sorry to be a crab about it but this one rubs me the wrong way.

Its not meant to make you increase your posting. Its meant to keep fly by nights from being on the list. Thats why there is also the suggestion for a requirement of 3 months membership. The post count was seen as a way to ensure the member was actually active here and not just popping in and leaving. The apron is pretty important to all of us. Don't worry about this, you've been around much longer than the suggested 3 months. I'm sure you can understand why we are putting some restrictions around this. The theft of the apron was a shock and upset many members. We're just trying to ensure it doesn't ever happen again.

Has anyonr thought about using UPS, Fed-X, or DHL ground? The cost is competitive and you get a tracking number so you can track the package alot easier then postal service. Fed-x and UPS now have store all over the place. They have all of the necessary paper work for over sea shipments, and you could, in the beginning use the letter packaging, before switching to a box.

Alix said:
...The apron is pretty important to all of us...I'm sure you can understand why we are putting some restrictions around this. The theft of the apron was a shock and upset many members. We're just trying to ensure it doesn't ever happen again.

I do understand and was excited when it first started (even though I was low on the list, I did sign up quite quickly) and very "pissy" when it disappeared ... Sorry to all for the crabbing. Not to make excuses but some of us have been patiently waiting a LONG time and suddenly, it seemed like my chance was gone, again. I am sorry.

As long as "longevity" is also put into consideration when looking at number of posts, I'm fine with whatever the group decides.

Elf said:
Has anyonr thought about using UPS, Fed-X, or DHL ground? The cost is competitive and you get a tracking number so you can track the package alot easier then postal service. Fed-x and UPS now have store all over the place. They have all of the necessary paper work for over sea shipments, and you could, in the beginning use the letter packaging, before switching to a box.

Shipping wasn't the worry, Elf, the worry was the person who took off with it and left.

I'll be putting up a list within this week.

jkath said:
Shipping wasn't the worry, Elf, the worry was the person who took off with it and left.

I'll be putting up a list within this week.

Yep, shipping wasn't an issue. I sent it out FedEx and it was about $7 if I recall. I never even really looked at the money in the pocket, since I just just paid it's way (On to it's apparent final resting place :( ).

I'll have to sign up for the new one later. Spring and summer are getting here and it appears I am once again going to be busy, busy, busy...

John

Back
Top Bottom