"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: The Traveling Apron's Rules - Please Vote!
1 apron per continent 23 53.49%
1 apron per region (northern, southern, eastern, western states) 2 4.65%
a time limit of 4 days (not including weekends) in posession 5 11.63%
a time limit of 1 week total 33 76.74%
Only the apron and paper goods (recipe cards,etc) in the package 15 34.88%
The apron and all other items chosen by the sender in the package 18 41.86%
All participants will pm jkath their address, email and phone# to ensure a safe return of the apron 36 83.72%
No vital information like that above is necessary 1 2.33%
A minimum of 200 posts before anyone gets the apron 22 51.16%
A minimum of 3 months on the board (active member) before anyone gets the apron 30 69.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen
Smile Traveling Apron Poll

Here's the poll, and check on as many boxes as you agree with. This will give a good look as to how our members feel about the apron.
Thanks all for your participation, and again, thank you for always showing the community spirit that makes DC such an awesome site!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, now that I've voted, I need to make some comments.

I think it would be too problematic to have more than one apron working at a time. Too much like having three balls in the air. Jkath, you already do enough and we don't want to add to your load. Even though I suspect you would graciously accept it.

As for the time, what does a "week" mean? Are we speaking of 7 actual calendar days or 7 "business" days? That probably should be clarified. Plus, when a holiday in someone's area occurs during the time a member is in possession of the treasured apron.

When it comes to including "goodies" in the package with the apron, I think we should allow some latitude there. Some people live in areas we all would like to visit and a piece of that person's area would be a real treat for those receiving the apron following its visit to that area.

These are just my initial thoughts and I will probably have some more. Let's get this ball rolling. Buck and I are ready to have some fun.

"Can a new apron come out and play?"

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
I actually liked keeping watch over the "little baby" while it was in circulation. Made me happy to know I could make other people happy.

First question: a week would mean 7 calendar days.
Holidays don't count, and are free days - how fun would it be to have the apron on Halloween?!

The reason I asked about more than one, is that in the slight chance we'd lose another, the loss wouldn't be so great.

Goodies, I think are great, but maybe should only go to the very next person, as sometimes shipping does get expensive. Perhaps no $ should be sent.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Executive Chef
I totaly agree with the no $ being sent. Open invitation. I also think the count point and time on board are low. As well, a week to some folks who ar every busy, may not be enough time. Sheesh, I'm sounding like Ms Doomandgloomandaren'tIfuntobearound, but I don't mean to be. Just trying to think of all the angles to make it work.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Miss Jkath...

I will support what ever decisions the "family" agrees upon.

I would personally support a higher Membership time as well as a higher post count. Or a which ever comes first scenario.

As you already know you can count on my support, and such assistance as you may need to move this project forward.

Thank you for your willingness to devote your time and energy to the effort!!

My Warmest Regards,

Uncle Bob
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Sous Chef
I would love to participate if I'm not too much of a newbie here!
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Head Chef
I would really love to see only one apron. If you don't have time to go to the post office this week, why would you have time next week. The less time you have the apron, the better. You can always send pic's to the next person later on and that person can send them on....eventually they will catch up to the apron. Or just post them on DC.
It would be nice to get the apron with a treat from the last person and sending one to the next person. It's going to take some time for the apron to get around so the treats need to be eaten before 2008.
I don't mind the extra postage for international mail but this might be subject to scheduling the apron's route. The cost of mailing a treat loaded apron might break me but not a single treat.
The apron needs to be secured in a container that is easy to mail. Priority mail is not that expensive and 4Th class mail should be avoided. This time the apron probably needs to go registered so the last person or somebody gets verification of it's receipt.
If the apron is going out of the USA, a custom form has to be filled out declaring the contents. Maybe some instructions about mailing should be mailed with the apron.
Is this going to be a bleached muslin apron in a butcher style (flat with neck ring & tie string)?
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Master Chef
One apron.... and I would not put anything of "value" in the box with the apron. We all know that the contents of the box has a different value for us all, but nothing with a monetary value. I agree with StirBlue that maybe it should be sent via registered mail, and that info could be communicated to jkath...

Anywho... I know I have not posted as much as most, not on here as long as some, but I would be honored to participate in what can only be described as a thoughtful, kind, and loving gesture of the DC family.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
yeah no $ sent out... and make sure they are "members" that have been here for a while, its sad we have to do this but some people are just that way, I sent it back with pictures b/c I had gotten sick alot of stuff was going on so I didn't hinder the package...
jkath,thanks for being so great....
kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Head Chef
After reading the thread "how did you find dc", I came to understand that many of the members here have been associates in another forum and are well acquainted.

When I saw how many members voted for 200 post & 3 months membership at DC, I also came to understand how much the Traveling Apron meant.

I did not sign up for the first Traveling Apron but since I have proved to myself that I can get my personal mail out, I have more confidence in accepting the responsibility of the Traveling Apron.

I just narrowly meet the qualifications having become a member 12/01/06. I believe that this is a good recommendation. If you are just joining DC, it will be months before you are next on the list anyway. Then you can be added.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote