"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Everymom

Travelling time!

OK, we just got back from Costa Rica (Guanacaste region, Papagayo) and I have nothing but praise for both the resort and the region. WOW! We had a complete blast and I would recommend that to anyone who is thinking of going. The Hilton Papagayo was an all inclusive and although there were the occasional blips, the folks there worked very hard at fixing things for us and the people were so friendly and genuine. They were quite outgoing too, they didn't hesitate to initiate conversations and were happy to have you practice your pathetic (in my case anyway) spanish on them.

We did a zip line tour and I gotta tell you...I could do that all day! The guys who work there get paid to have fun all day in my opinion. What a great job! I'll post pics when we download them.

The ONLY downside was the flight home. Freaking forever, and I was squished in the middle seat between typhoid lady who coughed and snorted and spewed the whole trip and Ken. And did I mention it was 900 degrees in there? I was pretty glad to get home to 10C I tell you!

OK, who else has been travelling?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Fingers are crossed - we plan to go to California (Anaheim first) then wine country first of July - I'll take that as it has been years since we went anywhere!

I'm so glad you and Ken had a great time Alix.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm going to Mexico again on the 13th of April.! Can't wait.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef

What a fabulous trip, Alix! I can't wait to see the pics. Zip lines are so much fun.

I was going to try to sneak down to the coast but now I'm thinking about hanging out in the hot tub with Buck for a while.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Everymom

You'd have fun in CR kitchenelf, especially as your Spanish is so good! Heeheehee! Can't wait to hear about your wine trip. I bet you'll have a blast.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Costa Rica sounds great! I went to Cancun, Mexico on my honeymoon and that was absolutely marvelous! I would recommend it to anyone. There is so much to do, for all ages. Just be prepared with swimming/snorkeling gear. We went in March, got out of the snow and brown grass and into 80 degree weather. I wish I was there right now!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My friends just got back from 3 weeks in Costa Rica and loved it! They also said the zip line thingie was a total blast!

Glad you enjoyed your vacation!

I'll be moving home to San Francisco in June, so that's my next vacation!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm heading for the airport in 8 hours. I'm going home to see my family in Vista, California. It has been almost 5 years, and that wait has been killing all of us. It was so sad to talk to my granddaughter Hannah and have her ask when I was coming to see them (she hasn't seen me since she was not even quite 2, and her brother had just turned 5). Andrew will turn 10 this Saturday. I will be there for his birthday and for Easter. Well, I have to finish packing and get to bed!

Barbara
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Head Chef

What's a zip line thing?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Sounds like a great time, Alix! I leave Saturday for 10 days in Virginia.

Is a zipline where you are connected to something resembling a clothesline and go swooshing down the mountain?