"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have a Nordic Trak recumbent bike--much better for my bad knees than a treadmill. I like it but it has some sort of computer glitch right now--it is either no tension, or so much tension I can't push the pedals. As soon as the driveway melts a little, I am going to go look for new batteries for it.

i have a golds gym recumbent bike. i bought it just to exercise legs and built up muscles in legs. works well, when i get on it.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know how old you are, but i would be careful that it isn't to much for you. no falling allowed. i bought the recumbent bike to rebuild muscles in legs. it works well for circulation as well. like dr. said, just don't fall getting on it. lol. i am 72

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I have bought and sold many treadmills.

The best you can do is to get a used commercial one off craigslist.

I have bought 3-4 thousand dollar treadmills for 1-3 hundred dollars.

I would buy a Landice if you can find one.(not the 8700-just a little too old but a fine treadmill). Landice has a 400lb user rating and they are built to last.

Lifefitness would be my second choice.Stay away from all the bells and whistles those are the things that break and cost money to maintain.

Where in Cali are you? I will find one close to you that would be a good deal from CL if you want.Just let me know what area CL to look at.

Some Sole treads are good too.

By all means stay away from proform or any other dept store brand.Getting replacement parts for these is the problem.

Also stay away from the folding ones.they are conveinant but break alot more.

Here is a fitness equip forum I am on alot if you have any questions about specific treadmill or other equip.
Do some searching before posting or you might get flamed a little.They are harmless though.

Workout Equipment - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Thank you for the links. I'll just play it safe and ask questions here. Read over at that site. I liked the Landis, just not sure if I need everything that it offers. Craig's List is an idea I'll definitely check it out. Use it with caution..

Weight limit isn't an issue with me 80 Lbs isn't anything.
See why I won't join a Gym? Those Ladies at Curves might hurt me..

A friend of ours is selling this one. It's only been used twice. He's asking $250.00. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'll know tomorrow the specifics of what my Dr wants for my workout routine.

Munky.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My recumbent bike continues to gather dust, still don't know what I can do in the way of exercise...first cardio rehab appointment is next Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Thank you for the links. I'll just play it safe and ask questions here. Read over at that site. I liked the Landis, just not sure if I need everything that it offers. Craig's List is an idea I'll definitely check it out. Use it with caution..

Weight limit isn't an issue with me 80 Lbs isn't anything.
See why I won't join a Gym? Those Ladies at Curves might hurt me..

A friend of ours is selling this one. It's only been used twice. He's asking $250.00. Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I'll know tomorrow the specifics of what my Dr wants for my workout routine.

Munky.
I don't like Proform at all.You could do alot better with the 250.00

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I don't like Proform at all.You could do alot better with the 250.00
I knew you wouldn't like it. That was my first look at it to.
After looking at others that one looks flimsy. Cheap even.
I asked my husband about it. Now this is another thing that bothered me about it, I was unaware of. He's not the original owner of it. He got it from someone else. It's an older model. But she to supposedly only used it a few times. Really now? and I just won the Lotto..

I can do better and probably will.

Munky.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #17
Master Chef

I also agree in buying used equipment. You'll end up with a better machine for the same money spent.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Used treadmills are probably among some of the best used things you can buy. So many people buy them and use them just a small handful of times before they admit to themselves they will never use it again.

I thought of another feature to look for possibly. ours folds up so that it is easier to move and takes less space when not in use. That may or may not be important to you.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Honey Badger

Update

Well we ended up buying one at Sears. The Nordic Track C 1500 Quadflex. After trying out several that they had as floor displays. Doing some homework on replacement parts availability. This one best suited our needs.

We had them deliver and set it up. That took a while but it was done. It took 2 just to lift it. It takes up a good part of my dining room. But it's in a great spot for me to keep myself motivated to use it. It's working.

I like it it's very quiet, has a heart monitor ( that's too big for me ) I found to be useless. We still haven't figured out how to read the heart rate on the screen. If it's even accurate. I see the red heart flashing. I'm assuming it's flashing is a good sign that I'm still alive!

I'm not allowed to lift it to fold up. I'd prefer it stays down so I can try and get a few walks in a day. My first day on it wore me out. I lasted 7 minutes. Baby setting at that! What a sad walk that was. It's getting better. Slowly built up the incline and time to 15 minutes in the morning. 15 min at night.

Even my Golden Retriever has found a use for it. Now he has something new besides me, to toss him his ball. He's figured out to place it at the front when it's on and it will roll to the back. He's even worked out the timing to fetch it.

Thank you guys for helping me with all of the advice. It came in handy. One thing we found out that we were unaware of until we were at Sears and I asked about the floor mats and why are all the machines on one? If you have the tread mill on carpet the fibers can build up. The mats help protect the floor/ carpet, but also the motor.

Munky.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

You have given me inspiration to set up the treadmill my father gave to me years ago... just to see my dogs play ball with it of course