"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I am above the crust. No dirty jokes HERE!

-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Sush, there's ALWAYS hope.

wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by mrsmac
What is an all-clad??? I am guessing saucepans or something maybe?????
Right on! All-Clad is the brand name for a line of cookware here in the US. Not sure if they have it in Austrailia or not.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I sooooooooooooooooooooo have a joke for this. But I cant tell ya how much I hope sometimes.
My friend's uncle's joke about her hope chest was that she was hoping for a chest.

I had a hope chest, but it wasn't fancy. Just a big orange trunk. My mom had a Lane cedar chest, and I would have loved one. In fact, I still want one. I still have my miniature box, Claire! 30 years later, I haven't lost the key either!

I used a lot of my babysitting money as a teenager to buy things for mine. I still use the casserole set I bought for it when I was 16. No matter what you call it, or no matter if it is is for marriage or that first apartment, I still think these are a great idea.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 AM   #15
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I had a hope chest, but it wasn't fancy. Just a big orange trunk.
tee-hee, i have sort of an extended treasure trunk, and so a lot of the stuff is packed into these 8 rubbermaid bins instead of the trunk. not very fancy, lol, but they do the job. it's amazing how much stuff you need for the kitchen.
the actual trunk itself was very inexpensive but it's gorgeous. i think i actually might ask for another one for Christmas; that way i can keep one in my living room as an end table and one in my bedroom at the foot of my bed.
here's what it looks like:
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Ishbel
They used to be called Hope Chests - I suppose you bought things, hoping that you'd find someone to marry....

Even when I was a young girl, Mums started hope chests for their daughters - sheets, blankets, tablecloths, tea-towels etc...

And if you didn't marry.... then you had the makings of a first home without the immediate expense of going out and buying all the stuff at one time!
Hope chests is what we called them too. I purchased a chest by Henry Likly and co at some consignment shop when I was 18. It's a bit worn, but it will do well as a hope chest for my daughter. Thanks for the idea.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
Executive Chef
When we were children, my father (army) was stationed in Singapore and we got 3 beautiful camphor wood chests - one for me, one for my sister and one for my parents to keep. Mine was the least carved one (I got to choose), but my Mum started putting things in it from the time I was about 16.... The wedding came a lot later, but my first flat was fully stocked with bedding, tablecloths, towels, dishes and pans, courtesy of my Mum's foresight!

I've still got the camphor chest - it now holds table linens - and still smells of camphor

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote