"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig View Post
No friend, no need, i have some appointments coming up.

Tried AA, wasn't for me. It was pretty depressing, and everyone was chugging coffee and smoking cigarettes.

I wonder if hitting the gym would help?

Ive been trying to do alot of all day cooking like chili, bolognese, lots of chopping and checking the pot, stuff to keep my mind off of it....

thanks for the kind words, YT
Hey, Legs. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It sounds really difficult, but it also sounds like you're doing all the right things to turn things around.

I think it would be a great idea to hit the gym. I have two chronic illnesses, and I think DH has suffered more stress from them than I have, but he always makes time for going running or riding his bike (and I always encourage him to keep up his routine). It definitely helps alleviate stress. There's more info about that here: Exercise and Stress Relief -How To Relieve Stress with Exercise

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

legs, try finding a men only meeting of aa.

instead of all of the wishy washy, humour-less, self depricating sob stories of people who need to hear themselves speak, trying to find their way out of their mess, you'll hear a bunch of guys who'll talk about a lot of the same issues that you're dealing with.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

Honestly i only tried it once jabbur. Ill give it some thought. Ive been to rehab twice in the past though and im not a fan at all of the 12 steps. It isn't for everyone. Group therapy would be cool, but im just not big on the 12 steps.

The heavy bag is an amazing idea. Im gonna hit the gym. I havent worked out in nearly 6 months
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #14
Head Chef

whoa, thanks for the link.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
Head Chef

I'm an addict. I've got depression. I almost lost my family a few months ago. PM me if you need, we can talk.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Head Chef

sorry to hear that angie...and thank you.....
Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
Head Chef

Hi MLB. I don't have anything to add to the words of advice of all of the above posters - they speak wisely.

However, I just wanted to say that I feel so sorry for all the pain and heartache that you are going through, and to add my support of you in your journey to brighter days ahead. I know you will get through this, and it will all be a tough memory.

I'm glad you came here to us. Keep in touch - we are here for you!

Lee
Old 11-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

thanks Lee
Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Well you are on the right track leg. You know what you need to do and you are taking steps to do it.

You said the idea of going to a shelter is just terrible. Something you have to accept is that the situation you are already in is terrible (I know you already know that). staying with your mom, no matter how noble it may seem, is a bad move. You need to remove yourself for any environment where alcohol is part of the equation. If that means doing something you desperately do not want to do like going to a shelter or something then you just have to man up and do it. Do it for your family and do it for yourself. It is going to suck, but you will get through it.

Don't worry about the cigs right now. Alcohol is far more destructive to you at this stage of the game and trying to quit 2 habits right now would be too much to take on. Kick the booze and then once you have that behind you then you can conquer the butts.

I wish you the best of luck man. You are a smart guy and I have no doubt you can do this.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

thanks so much guys....really has made me feel better to get this off my chest...im cooking right now, half baking some potatoes so i can fry them later..chopping up some jalapenos...doing prep for my tacos tonight....

also, i took out some frustration by scrubbing my fav calphalon 12 inch skillet.....i busted out some barkeepers friend and i just went at it like MAD...the before and after pics would be crazy...

GB...as for my mom....im her only son here and i didnt know her conditions were so bad. i have to do all i can to improve her condition...or if she dies i will live to regret it

people say life is short...but life is long....especially if your life is filled with regrets....