"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #41
Everymom

MLB, sounds like you hit the bottom and you are now on the road back up. Tough road, but good for you. Can I just say that you need to do it for you and not for anyone else? And helping your mom is wonderful, but you are going to need to be strong for yourself first.

Please do reconsider finding an AA meeting and getting sponsored. I'm not sure what other supports are available to you, but this is a battle you don't need to fight alone. There is lots of support out there and you need the help.

I'm glad you came to us. We are a big family and we're here to support one another. Hang in there big guy.

Angie, keep up the hard work. Call on us when you need us, we're here for you too.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #42
Head Chef

What Legs? You mean that avatar is not your actual likeness????

I am crushed as mine certainly is. Don't remember when that picture was taken however.

As a crusty old bat let me just say we need a guy like you, and I am not just talking about on DC.

This can be a tough time of year. But it need not be.

Just do the best you can and with your obvious guts and gumption everything will work out.

God bless.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Hope all has been well in your world today, or depending on the time difference, will be well in your world today.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Prayers are coming your way legsbig. There is lots of help out there besides AA. Seek help for you and your mother. I will be praying for your health and your family's reunion. Stay strong and know that we're here for support.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #45
Head Chef

thanks so much..
Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Hey Legs, you're a brave man and I'm seriously proud of you.

My only advice is this - this early period has been hard on you physically and emotionally and you're shown a lot of courage facing this. I think sometimes the hardest part comes when life goes back to normal. All the little and big things that make up our lives. The car or the a/c breaks, your boss becomes a pain, your wife rags on you, your child goes through an annoying stage. If you have learned to get through those things, along with the boredom that sometimes exists in our lives, using alcohol, you may find it gets tough again. Plan for this. The best way to kick a habit is to replace it with another one. The gym sounds great. Hobbies are good. Many people use AA for this purpose. It doesn't matter - just make sure you have something you automatically do when/if the restlessness hits.

I have a lot of faith in you and know you can make it. You have a lot of friends here that care about you and what you are working on. I'm one of them.

Terry
Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #47
Master Chef

I am with Alix. You may find your own way latter, but when you hit bottom you need the organised structure of AA. I also think at this point you need to check into some facility that will not let you out. You may need somebody to bring youin and tell them to hold on on you untill you are ready to go. Adiction is a very hard thing to fight on your own, you need help, profecional help.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #48
Sous Chef

You can not do this on your own OR for anyone else but yourself. There are many upbeat and good AA meetings - All of them are different - Keep going untill you find a group you feel good about - Also remember if you are at a meeting you are not home thinking about not drinking - also you are further from temptation!!! Keep going to the meetings - fake it till you make it - Just take one day and one thing at a time - Here if you need to talk -
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanie525i View Post
You can not do this on your own OR for anyone else but yourself. There are many upbeat and good AA meetings - All of them are different - Keep going untill you find a group you feel good about - Also remember if you are at a meeting you are not home thinking about not drinking - also you are further from temptation!!! Keep going to the meetings - fake it till you make it - Just take one day and one thing at a time - Here if you need to talk -
Reanie525i (?) You just said what I wanted to say but I said it in such an unkind way it had to be rightfully taken off. You are right. You said it all. There is no other. Not cooking, not workouts, not anything. I wish mylegs all the best, I really do. There aren't any short cuts or easy outs. Good luck man, no, luck won't do it, good hard word on it with the support system you need will do it. Reanie said it correctly - you have to want it for yourself. All the best.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #50
Executive Chef

I've finally read all the responses to this thread and I, with you, am amazed at the brilliance of this wonderful group of fine individuals.

Please, do read and reread what they've said. I pm'd you with a few things.

There are so many wonderful pieces of info on these pages. I would agree to write things down. That helps me when l'm having a rough bout with whatever is plaguing me. Make a list of the goods and bads in your life. Concentrate on the good more than the bad and really try hard to focus on one more good thing to add to the list, even if it's minimal.

You can do this, you can and must be strong, with the help of loved ones, and that includes us here, this will have a new ending to how you feel now. Just believe...