"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #11
Senior Cook
We've had only 1 kid in the last 3 years. We leave our light on each year, but none of our neighbors give out candy so what kid is going to come all the way down our street to visit just one house? We generously will reward the one that does however with a full size candybar (we buy 4 or 5 "real" candy bars each year and eat the leftovers ourselves).

We don't take our 3-year old trick or treating yet, there's so much to do all day long though. Our town does many Halloween events for the little kids. Even the hardware store gives out goodie bags today. We enjoy a hayride at the pumpkin patch in the afternoon, then our Library has a preschooler party at 4pm, then at 6pm our community center does a haunted walk. We get home around 7:30 and turn on our light until about 8:30, when our little guy goes to bed, he's Mickey Mouse this year by the way.

Finally reached my goal weight- 120 lbs- & never going back!
Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
We live in a townhouse condo complex so there are a lot of houses in a relatively small area. There seems to be an alternate years cycle where every other year we get a lot of kids (75-100) and on the alternate years, very few (less than 40).

We can count on carloads of kids driving in from the next town over and hitting our condos for candy. They usually get here later than the residents and if I run out for them I'm less concerned than running out for our neighborhood kids.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We live right in town on a well-traveled street. There are plenty of houses on our street, some with youngish children. The city has a rule that the children should only trick-or-treat between the hours of 5 and 8 p.m., so that's when we expect to see any little ghosties and goblins.

It was nearly 70 degrees yesterday and we'd hoped we could sit out on our big front porch tonight to hand out treats. Started out warmish this morning, but it's beginning to cool down and it's been spitting rain off an on. We may still sit out on the porch to greet the children.

We get an assortment of older children, too, but they really dress up. Maybe not extensively, but good enough to show that they'd put in some effort.

Usually we can expect somewhere between 30 and 100 children. With the weather, we may not get as many as usual. We'll see.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Not many trick or treaters in Jersey City. Even when I lived downtown and my front door opened on the street, i never got more than 4 or 5 kids. Now that I live in a locked building with doorbells but no buzzers, there won't be anyone but the 3 kids who live in the building.

there are a lot of organized parties for the kids, so that discourages trick or treating. So many people have "done things" to the kids, I don't blame the parents and teachers for planning other activities. It's a shame, tho. It used to be so much fun!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I go with Billy every year so there's nobody home to hand out candy. I know Don's parents don'y get too many (maybe 10) and they live around the corner.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
Head Chef
We're gonna go out for Mizzphinz' birthday tonight. Sushi for Halloween!
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #17
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
We live in a cul de sac of townhouses. We get kids from the neighborhood and not much else.

In a college town, the student housing is just too tempting. My kids try to find someone that'll take them to campus for the 'big score'
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #18
Head Chef
Last Halloween I didn't get a single boy or girl come to my door. I live in a secured building with 27 units and with everything that is going on in our world today people are afraid to buzz people in the building.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
We had about 100 kids or so this year. I took our kids & walked the entire neighborhood & when all was said & done, they wound up with 4 plastic grocery bags full of candy. We live in a sub-division & get a lot of kids from our town along with all the kids who live in the neighborhood. I love it!
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:22 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
Well tonight I got absolutely hardly any, maybe 5. It was realy, really sad. Maybe it was because it was freezing raining ! I sure hope so, I usually get like 60 kids..

free cook books for everything !
NightsinCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote