"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Tricks you've done while cooking, by mistake.

One time at work I was cutting up some broccoli for our daily vegetable packs, and I was using a very nice knife that day. I got to a piece of broccoli that had a piece of rot on it. I cut the piece and put it aside. I cut the rest of the broccoli, and then i put my knife under the piece with rot, launched it in the air with the knife, turning the knife so the blade went upward, and the broccoli landed on the blade, cut of the piece of rot which hit the edge of the counter and fell into the garbage.

I laughed my butt off.

What have you done?

Old 11-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Head Chef

I made caramel one time when I meant to make pralines.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Holy cow, just last night at work we were making burritos for the staff before we had any tables in the restaurant, and one of the other cooks threw a lime at the sous chef who took a quick swipe at it with his knife, and both pieces landed on his cutting board. We thought that was cool enough, but then we looked at the lime, and it was a PERFECT cut down the exact center of the lime.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
Head Chef

One day I was making hot chocolate and without realizing it I put salt in the cup which was right next to the hot chocolate mix - then I put the hot chocolate mix with milk into a large cup and put it in the microwave - couldn't figure out why it tasted so strange.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Was making cups of tea for a couple of visitors. As I reached for the sugar-spoon, I bumped it, and it did a beautiful parabola from the kitchen bench over to the dining table (about 2 metres), and landed fair smack in the middle of the plate of biscuits sitting there. Along with a generous amount of sugar. I couldn't have done that deliberately even after years of practice!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Haha! Yes this was a great idea!

Here's another good one.

I was again.... making those ****ed vegetable packs and i was just finishing up by putting the garlic spread in the bags. I had made a mountain so big the veg packs were nearing the edge of the counter. I saw one about to fall, so I jumped over and swung my hand at it to stop it from going in the garbage right underneath, so when i swung my hand i didnt catch it, i launched it over my head to my back.... like a parabola (thanks daisy), so then i swung my foot backwards to knock it up, and i did, it did the same parabola back over my head, into the garbage can.

Hahahahah
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

These stories are comical! Mine isn't that good, more like timing. Had shrimp sauteing in a 10" pan, stepped on the dogs paw, "YIPE", I jump, pan falls, and I catch it before it hit the floor.....didn't loose one shrimp. :)
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I thought I`de take advantage of a very hot summers day to defrost my freezer, I was pulling on this chunk of ice when suddenly it broke free, I landed on my asset and the ice had shot out of my hand landing neatly in the cats water bowl some 10 foot away on the other side of the room :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
One time I was making a meatloaf in a pressure cooker, and I forgot to turn down the heat. Yes I burnt the bottom of the pressure cooker, and required a whole lot of elbow grease to scrub it clean, but the meatloaf came out with a wonderful "smoked" flavour I must say we really enjoyed it... I wish I could find a way to recreate that effect without risking of ruining our pressure cooker or any of our cookware, that meatloaf was memorably delicious!!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
couldn`t you put a layer of Foil in the bottom?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote