Tried Outback Steakhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
While in Kentwood, MI (south side of Grand Rapids), visiting two of the most beautiful grand-daughters on the planet, DW & I went to the local Outback Steakhouse. I have never been treated better by the serving staff, or had a better rib-eye, cooked perfectly over flame, from a restaurant. DW had a pan-seared fillet. Now I know that I probably should have tried something that I can't make at home. That's what I usually do when eating out. But i was hungry for steak, and this one didn't dissapoint. My only complaint, no bone. I love, love, love a good bone-in rib eye, cooked over flaming-hot embers.

The sweet potato side dish had a bit too much honey on it though. But the steamed green beans were as fresh as they come, and cooked perfectly as well. Over all, I was impressed. I would go again, and try something else from their menu, if we had one close enough to go to.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

It is always a pleasure to go to a restaurant, and have the food be as good as they claim it to be. Like you, I would have to travel a ways to get to an Outback Steakhouse. The town down the road is trying to lure businesses to their area. Outback is on the list, according to the local paper. Who knows? Maybe we will get lucky!

Last time we went to Outback, my wife ordered the French Onion
soup. Smelled like a well used tennis shoe, but she assured me
it tasted great! ;)

There is nothing wrong in ordering something you can easily make at home when you go out. Sometimes it's nice to eat your favorite thing made by someone else. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We have an Outback just around the corner and a Texas Roadhouse just around the other corner. Both are great places to eat. DH loves the blooming onion/onion blossom at either place.

I guess Outback varies a lot. We had one about 5 km from my house. We went. The steak was nothing special, the vegis were boring. The service was "meh" and it was overpriced. We never went again. They lasted about 5 years.

Pretty good timing, Chief. Glenn and I had dinner at our area Outback last night. We had the wood-fired porterhouse steaks. Super delicious and both done perfectly. I like mine with the "moo" slapped out and Glenn prefers his a bit more done. All our sides were delicious, too. I had the mixed veggies, which were snow peas, carrots, broccoli and yellow squash. All the vegetables were cooked exactly as they should have been...al dente. The snow peas were so tender and sweet I could've made a meal of them. Not. Not when there's beef around.:LOL:

The service was impeccable and our experience was flawless. The restaurant was packed and the staff really hustled. They clearly knew their jobs and did them well.

glad you enjoyed it, chief. you deserve a good meal out.

outbacks here are hit and miss. sometimes good, often average or bad.

dw's friend's husband goes to an outback (do they have "oatback steakhouse" in canada?) almost every week just for the bloomin' onion. he proceeds to eat the entire thing by himself, just as an appetizer! :ohmy:

it's something like 2000 calories by itself, before you add dipping sauces. he gets extra sauces, of course.

Don't go to Outback often, but the last time it was simply fantastic. We arrived with a large party and they didn't have the table ready like we had asked, but in just a few minutes they had two tables side by side and that was satisfactory for us. A few minutes later the manager shows up and along with a waiter and delivers a variety of appetizers as an apology. We had an excellent server and the food was all cooked to perfection. The broccoli stood out, it was cooked perfectly and drowned in butter, it was so good!

Many of us made a point to go online and put in a good word for the manager and staff.

Last time I ate at an Outback was 12 years ago. I used to like those Bloomin' Onions, but damned if they could ever cook my steak right. I would order it medium rare and it always came to the table looking black on the outside and gray in the center. The last time we were there, I asked the waitress to send it back to the kitchen. She finally admitted that the cook was instructed by the owner not to undercook meat, in order to minimize any chance of food poisoning. So I asked why she even bothered asking how I liked it cooked if the plan was to overcook it anyway. She didn't have a good answer for that, so I never went back. I can make better steak at home.

I've been to Outback once, a couple of years ago. I had a couple of gift coupons from there. The waitress asked me if I were sure I wanted my steak med rare. She must have been new. I didn't question her asking me that. Otherwise, the food was great.

The one by us has as good of food as your going to get at a chain restaurant. I like their lamb rack and it is the only reasonably priced I can get one at.

Back
Top Bottom