Trivia 11/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 11/19
DID YOU KNOW...
Around 32.5 million Americans (more than 10 percent of the population) had at least one foreign-born parent in 2008.

1. As of 2010, Wal-mart is the number one retailer in America-who is number two?
2. do you recall who's pictured on the two dollar bill?
3. what kind of an animal was Japan's movie monster, "Rodan"?
4. name the peninsula that separates the black sea and the Adriatic sea?
5. Ernest Hemingway received a Pulitzer for which of his novels ?
a. A Farewell to Arms
b. For Whom the Bell Tolls
c. The Old Man and the Sea
d. The Sun Also Rises
6. what did the empire state building replace as the world's tallest
structure?
7. Name the Canadian sprinter who was disqualified from the Seoul Olympics for failing a drug test ...
8. Who did Britain fight a short war against in 1982 ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
Halloween traces it's roots to late 19th century Ireland and Scotland, combining the features of the Celtic and Christian holidays, and celebrated with feasting, divinations, and mischief making.

1. The Kroger company (K-Mart, etc.)
2. THOMAS JEFFERSON
3. A PTERADACTYL (DINOSAUR IS ACCEPTABLE; BIRD IS NOT)
4. the Balkan peninsula
5. c
6. THE EIFFEL TOWER
7. Ben Johnson
8. Argentina
CRAP !!
Halloween is known and loved today as a time to wear costumes, go door to door asking for candy, and watch monster movies. But the holiday's origins go back centuries to the enactment of All Saints Day, a Christian holiday. Along the way, it has also picked up traditions from Samhain, a Celtic festival celebrating the start of winter.
The name "Halloween" began as "All Hallows Eve." This became "All Hallow E'en," leading to "Hallowe'en," or Halloween. It was the evening before All Hallows Day, which was later called All Saints' Day. (In this case, "hallows" meant "saints.")
All Saints' Day, a feast for all martyrs and saints, was celebrated on November 1st for the first time during the 8th century, but customs varied regarding its observance. This date was officially established for all Catholic churches in 837 by Pope Gregory IV.

Last edited:
2. THOMAS JEFFERSON
4. the Balkan peninsula
5. c
6. THE EIFFEL TOWER
7. Ben Johnson
8. Argentina
CRAP !!

2. THOMAS JEFFERSON

4. the Balkan peninsula --This was on Jeopardy the other night or I might have missed it!
5. c--Rats! "For Whom the Bell Tolls" jumped into my head before I saw the choices, so I went with it. I knew the right answer but forgot. :( I need to read more! :shock:
6. THE EIFFEL TOWER
7. Ben Johnson
8. Argentina

CRAP !!

:)Barbara

You, you, lip reader, you!!!:LOL:
Actually I am absolutely the worst lip reader you will ever meet! People will try to mouth things so no one else will hear (like surprises for the kids) and I have no idea what they are trying to say! I also found out that my lips are very hard to read. One of the customers at a friend's Tupperware party (for which I was the Tupperware rep) was deaf. I found out later from my friend that the poor lady could not tell what I was saying most of the time. I tend to talk fast, and it turns out I don't move my lips much! Maybe I should become a ventriloquist?!

I'd watch that show!

I read lips, mostly because I don't hear well in noisy situations.

I'd watch that show!

I read lips, mostly because I don't hear well in noisy situations.
I'm the same way--I absolutely cannot listen to more than one thing at a time. For instance, if I am on the phone and someone in the room tries to talk to me, I can't hear either one--it just becomes noise. I could never work the drive-through at a fast food restaurant!

I'm the same way--I absolutely cannot listen to more than one thing at a time. For instance, if I am on the phone and someone in the room tries to talk to me, I can't hear either one--it just becomes noise. I could never work the drive-through at a fast food restaurant!

Oh, how I failed at the Drive-Through! I had one manager who kept putting me there, even after I explained the problem...I got an assistant managers job at a Taco place! Showed him!:LOL:

I don't even order through a drive-through, I can't hear them.

Back
Top Bottom