Trivia 11/5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 11/5

DID YOU KNOW...
TODAY IS GUY FAWKES DAY
On this day in 1605, Fawkes led a group of conspirators in the Gunpowder Plot. They planned to assassinate King James I of England and all of Parliament by blowing up the building just as the king was about to address the legislative body. Police were tipped off to Fawkes’s crime; he and his cohorts were arrested, tortured, tried, and executed for treason and attempted murder. The holiday, celebrated with fireworks and bonfires, is somewhat ironic: Fawkes is jokingly referred to as “the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions.”

1. by what name is Hansen's disease better known?
2. what year was it that we were introduced to Smokey the bear?
3. ...........and what is the six-word quote that's Smokey the bear's best known utterance?
4. what amendment to the constitution gave 18-year olds the right to vote in the USA?
5. which of the seven dwarfs wore glasses?
6. how many years did the space station "Mir" stay aloft?

7. What sign of the Zodiac connects March and April ?
8. Name that Dish;
Chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 the original thickness, lined with a finger of a butter mixture, rolled, dipped in beaten egg, then coated with bread crumbs and deep-fried...
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
bad things happen at the Gates motel in "psycho".
1. Leprosy
2. 1950
3. "Only you can prevent forest fires."
4. The 26th
5. Doc
6. sixteen

7. Aries
8. Chicken Kiev
CRAP !!
it's the BATES motel where Janet Leigh gets all that attention in the shower, cut to pieces by Norman bates, a young man with a very unhealthy relationship with his ma.

I did very badly today. I got #s 3, 5, 8, and T or C.

The nit-picky side of me has to come out now though. The correct name of the bear mentioned is "Smokey Bear," not "Smokey the Bear." He was actually named for a real bear cub that was rescued in (I believe) New Mexico. Also, according to http://www.smokeybear.com/ the Smokey Bear campaign was started in 1944 (I still had it wrong! lol).

:)Barbara
P.S. Interesting! I have been reading through the site I posted. The word "the" was added by song writers because they needed the song to flow, but it didn't change his name. I also saw that even though the campaign started in 1944, the cartoon based on the real bear they found was done in 1950, so that means your answer is correct as well. :)

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct !

Smokey Bear was rescued from a forest fire in the Capitan Mountains, became a symbol of forest fire safety, and was teamed with the 1944 Ad Council slogan............ In 1952, songwriters Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins had a hit with "Smokey The Bear". The pair said that "the" was added to Smokey’s name to keep the song's rhythm.

I utilized the familiar"the".

Keep Me Honest !!
;)

Back
Top Bottom