Trivia 3/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
1. if you suffer from ailurophobia, what is it that you fear?
2. what year was u-2 pilot francis gary powers shot down over the USSR?
3. what is the more common name for the fictional "united network for law and enforcement", (TV series)
4. what famous TV personality was known as "uncle miltie"?
5. name the old negro story teller in disney's "song of the south".
6. name the central character in the collection of children's books by h.r. garis.
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
the tin can used to preserve foods was invented by the germans during WWI.
1. cats (??)
2. 1960 (1962?)
3. U.N.C.L.E.
4. MILTON BERLE
5. UNCLE REMUS
6. UNCLE WIGGLY
CRAP !!
the tin can, or canister, was invented by londoner peter durand in 1810, the year after french confectioner nicolas appert introduced the canning method of sealing foods inside glass jars and then heating the jar.
unfortunately for durand, however, the can OPENER wasn't invented for another 46 years. until that little invention came along, a hammer and chisel was used to open tin cans.

i missed #6 today.

and supposedly nick appert used old champagne bottles to perfect his canning technique, and won 12K francs in napoloen's contest to see who could come up with a way to preserve food for his travelling armies.

alex;
kinda a "uncle" theme.........i'm happy to know my posts are appreciated.
LT
bucky- nice addition to the t or c info..............
i'm filing it, mentally, 'cause i'm sure it will come up, eventually, in my trivia addiction.
LT

PS- anybody who got #1 today has my utmost respect!!!

COOL! I got #1! I'm a word freak though. I love words and figuring out their derivations.

does everyone understand the signifigance of the CAPS vs. lower case, parenthases-encased data, ets. ??

except in some situations, such as saturday specials and occasional theme series', or "truth or crap",
i play along with y'all every day.
if i get it right, the answer will be in CAPS......
if i get it wrong, the answer will be in lower-case, with my guess in ( wrong answer )
if i can't come up with an intelligent guess, you will see the correct answer in lower-case, followed by (??) which represents me...........the more ???, the more baffled i am........
now, when i miss one, but, after seeing the answer, recall that "i knew that", you will see ( DOH! )
if i happen to make a lucky guess, you would see the correct answer in CAPS, followed by the exclamation, ( !! )

i offer this info because sometimes it's more fun to have a barometer to compete with, rather than having your score, and your score only......................
LT

Back
Top Bottom