Trivia 7/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 7/10
DID YOU KNOW...
IN ENGLAND IN 1558, BEARDS WERE TAXED ACCORDING TO THEIR LENGTH.
1. Mary Baker Eddy is remembered as the founder of what religious movement ?
2. " Earlybird", the first commercial U.S. communications satellite was launched in what year ?
3. What was the name of the 1971 Dick van Dyke movie in which the whole town tries to quit smoking for a $25,000,000 payoff from an evil tobacco company ?
4. In what film would I find Will Smith playing the part of fighter pilot Steven Hiller ?
5. Which Metropolis is nick-named the "City of Light" ?
6. Name the Warner Brothers icon whose work on cartoons earned him the title of the "Man of a thousand Voices" ?
7. What charitable Christian organization sports the motto, "A Man may be down, but he's never out!" ?
8. How many siblings comprise the singing Osmond Family ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
The word "Paparazzi" literally means crazy fly.
1. CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS
2. 1965
3. cold turkey
4. INDEPENDENCE DAY
5. PARIS
6. MEL BLANC
7. salvation army
8. seven
CRAP !!
The term comes from the classic Fellini film, La Dolce Vita, in which an annoying photographer is named Paparazzo.
The word now refers to any number of highly annoying guerilla-styled photogs who make a living capturing celebs in (often compromising) every-day situations.

Good morning, l.t.

Not very good today.......

TRIVIA: Why did they tax beards?

#s 4 & 5 okay...That's it.

Thought #8 was more - 11-13.

Always keeping us on our toes...
THANKS!

Have a good day.

TRIVIA: Why did they tax beards?

Couldn't find a direct reference to the factoid;
I did learn, tho' that Queen Elizabeth had an extreme dislike for facial hair. She came to the throne in 1558, and before too long, it "Became the fashion" to keep the skin free of hair, including eyebrows.

Whether she imposed a tax on facial hair or not is not addressed anywhere that I could find, although thr factoid turns up all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom