trivia 7/16 - BLTN!
Did you know...
Origin of the word “dog”
“Although the dog was probably the first domesticated animal, the word ‘dog’ was not its
original name. This animal was generally called ‘hund,’ which evolved into the modern
word ‘hound.’ In time, the Old English (pre-12th century) ‘docga’ usurped ‘hund’ and the
name spread to other languages as a name for a specific breed. It influenced French
‘dogue’ (mastiff); Spanish ‘dogo’ (terrier); Swedish ‘dogg’ (bulldog); and German
‘dogge’ (Great Dane). By the 13th century, a ‘hound’ was strictly a hunting dog.”
1. What is the hottest air temperature ever recorded on the earth ? (we're talking weather
here, not volcanic activity, steam influences, etc.)
2. A valley in which country (it's in Africa) has the world's highest AVERAGE
temperature, at 94 degrees ?
3. What singer has the all-time Top-selling album by a female?
4. What WWII event was code-named "Operation Overlord" ?
5. Fill in the blank; "Parrot heads" are fans of ______?
6. What's the more common name for cerumen, a bodily secretion?
7. What island nation is nick-named "the Pearl of the Antilles" ?
8. Name the off-spring of an ex-President who was named PEOPLE magazine's "Sexiest
Man Alive" in 1988.
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
the reason canning jars are referred to as "Mason Jars" is that they were originally manufactured from masonry .
1. one hundred thirty-six
3. SHANIA TWAIN
5. JIMMY BUFFETT
8. JOHN F. KENNEDY, JR.
The common canning jar was invented by John L. Mason in 1858. Mason was a tinsmith
and came up with the idea of screw threads for the lid on glass jars that allowed them to
be enclosable and reusable. The Mason jar immediately changed lifestyles and diets.
Until then, root cellars, pickle barrels and smokehouses were needed to preserve food
through the winter. for the first time, vegetables and fruits could be kept for later use.
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !