trivia 8/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 8/23
DID YOU KNOW...
The first U.S. census in 1790 revealed that there were 3,939,326 citizens in the 16 states and Ohio Territory. The U.S. Census has been taken every 10 years since then. The United States made history when it took its first census in 1790, not only because of the size of the area enumerated and the effort to obtain data on characteristics of the population but also because of the political purpose for which it was undertaken - namely, representation in Congress on the basis of population.

1. Which of these great men of science did NOT enjoy a long life?
a. - Pierre Curie
b. - Thomas Edison
c. - Alexander Graham Bell
d. - Sigmund Freud
2. In 2009, Milvina Dean died at the age of 97. She was the last survivor of which disaster?
3. Which of these men has actually run for the presidency?
a. - Joe Walsh
b. - Elvis Presley
c. – “Weird Al” Yanovic
d. - Billy Joel
4. What substitute for the iron lung was introduced in 1965?
5. Name the five States that border on Ohio...
6. Who Am I ?
I was a New Mexico resident; I became known for my large, almost Abstract, paintings of flowers and animal skulls.......
7. Word Scramble;
ofhilsur – intr. ~ to grow well or luxuriantly ....
8. Katherine Ross played the role of unsuspecting new suburbanite Joanna Eberhart in the 1975 film, The Stepford Wives; who played the part in the 2005 re-make ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
The 2004 Tsunami killed over 230,000 people from 50 different countries.
1. - a
2. The sinking of the Titanic
3. – a
4. the Ventilator
5. Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania
6. Georgia O'Keeffe
7. flourish
8. Nicole Kidman
TRUTH !!
The 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake was an undersea mega thrust earthquake that occurred at 00:58:53 UTC on Sunday, 26 December 2004, with an epicenter off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The quake itself is known by the scientific community as the Sumatra–Andaman earthquake. The resulting tsunami is given various names, including the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, South Asian tsunami, Indonesian tsunami, and Boxing Day tsunami.
The earthquake was caused by subduction and triggered a series of devastating tsunamis along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing over 230,000 people in fourteen countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 meters (98 ft.) high. It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia was the hardest-hit country, followed by Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand.
With a magnitude of Mw 9.1–9.3, it is the third largest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph. The earthquake had the longest duration of faulting ever observed, between 8.3 and 10 minutes. It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 centimeter (0.4 inches) and triggered other earthquakes as far away as Alaska. Its epicenter was between Simeulue and mainland Indonesia

I got the ones in red:

1. - a
2. The sinking of the Titanic
3. – a
4. the Ventilator

5. Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Pennsylvania
6. Georgia O'Keeffe
7. flourish

8. Nicole Kidman -- Rats! The only one I could remember from the movie was Faith Hill, and I knew she wasn't the one in question.
TRUTH !!

Back
Top Bottom