Tropical Storm Rita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Hey, let's say a little prayer that Rita will die out before it get's to the Texas Gulf!! The projection so far is Galveston, but, it could go as far as Louisiana again. I don't live anywhere near where I could be affected, except maybe badly needed rain, but, I think this years hurricanes have taken there toll out on the US.
Prayers out to all of the Florida keys, Bahamas and all the others that will be affected.

Well at least this time they are getting the folks out in time. they are also using busses, not like before where they just left the buses sit. DUMB

Pray hard:

FromWeatherBug.com
Rita, already an extraordinary 165-mph Category 5 Hurricane, has now become the 3rd most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico, as the minimum central pressure drops to a reading of 26.55" (898 mb)!

Generally speaking, the lower the pressure, the stronger the winds inside the hurricane`s eyewall. Maximum sustained winds may very well be higher than the winds reported. Although monstrous storms like this fluctuate in strength, Rita will likely make landfall late Friday along the Gulf Coast as a devastating, possibly catastrophic hurricane.

A Hurricane Watch is now effect from Port Mansfield, Texas, to Cameron, La., and a Tropical Storm Watch is in effect from Cameron, La., east to Grand Isle, La., and from Port Mansfield, Texas to Brownsville, Texas. The Mexican government has issued a tropical storm watch from Rio San Fernando to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Anyone living in or planning to visit these areas should keep their WeatherBug active to find out the latest on this storm.

Although the exact location of landfall of this hurricane is still uncertain, residents along the western and central Gulf Coast must be prepared to move quickly if mandatory evacuations are ordered. This is an extremely dangerous and life-threatening situation.

Numerous coastal and inland counties and parishes in Texas and Louisiana have already issued mandatory evacuation orders. Remember, hurricanes like Rita are large, powerful systems that can cause damage along large sections of coastline and to areas far inland.

At 7 p.m. CDT (8 p.m. EDT), the center of Rita was located near 24.5 N and 86.8 W, or about 580 miles east-southeast of Galveston, Texas, and about 680 miles east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas. Rita is currently moving toward west at 13 mph and this will motion will continue for the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 165 mph, making Rita a strong and very powerful Category 5 hurricane capable of causing catastrophic damage. The storm`s minimum central pressure, as measured by Hurricane Hunter aircraft, is now the 3rd lowest on record for the Atlantic Basin at 26.55" (898 mb).

Official forecasts continue to curve the hurricane to northwest on Thursday and Friday as the high pressure that has been steering the system to the west over the last several days moves east.

This trend keeps the entire Texas coast, as well as the Katrina-ravaged areas of Louisiana and Mississippi, threatened with the potential of a land-falling hurricane late Friday or early Saturday.

Barbara

I've been praying mighty hard these last few days (I may wear out my new rosary) but they've been predicting that this storm will stall over the Ark-La-Tex area leaving us in the "Right-Front Quadrant" of the storm where all the peripheral severe weather occurs (notice I'm avoiding the use of the "T" word).

It looks like the prayers are working so far. Rita's dropped to Cat 3 before she made landfall and now they're predicting that all the severe stuff and the heavy flooding will stay well south of us.

God Bless

~ Raven ~

Thinking of all of you in the danger areas and hoping you will be OK, we have regular updates on the news here and it doesn't look pleasant.

For us here in Little Rock, so far so good.

We've had tornado warnings skittering about like marbles on the kitchen floor but only one for the northern part of our county, we've been very lucky. So far only one reported touchdown in the state and one report of damage though it's uncertain whether that was a tornado or straight-line winds.

Since the sun has gone down here Rita has lost a primary source of energy and has already begun to weaken further, though a new Tornado Watch has just been issued until 4:00Am CDT.

Since rainfall totals for the year to date are nearly 9 inches below normal flooding has been minimal so far and flash-flooding has been sporadic.

Hurricane Rita has had another devistating effect on the state's farmers making landfall at the start of the cotton harvest. Cotton cannot be harvested wet, and if saturated while still on the stalk, will fall from the stalk to the ground where it becomes completely useless.

State cotton farmers, upon hearing the possiblily that Rita could come to Arkansas, began an immediate and desperate attempt to harvest what they could ahead of the storm.

Keep the prayers coming folks, they're working.

God Bless +

~ Raven ~

So Raven, how did the rest of the day and night go?
We had high winds up to 60mph and some rain, that's about it.

Thankfully yes :) And thank you all for all the prayers and well wishes.

They were originally predicting that the remnants would stall over N.E. Texas and this thing would just sit there spinning tornadoes into the state all day today, but it moved further north and east than they orginally predicted before it stalled out so we got all our severe weather Saturday night and today the severe stuff had moved on into eastern Ar, western Ms. and western TN so we've been pretty much in the clear today.

Our winds at one point maxed out at 40mph and I stood there at the door amazed (though I don't know why) that the rain looked just like it did on TV, raining from left to right rather than from up to down. It was raining so hard you could barely see the cars and I thought "the only thing missing is Jeff Morrow and a Weather Channel camera crew in the parking lot"

We didn't have much damage here and very little flooding.

We had a total of 18 tornado warning which was far far less than I anticipated. When they began saying we were going to be stuck in the infamous "right-front quadrant" for 3 days my mind immediately went to the super-outbreak we had back on January 21st, 1999 when we had 56 confirmed tornadoes in 8 hours (5 on the ground at one time). It set a worlds record until the next day when it broke out again in Texas where they got 57. Anyway that's a day I never want to see again. :)

~ Raven ~

Back
Top Bottom