"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
A huge cup of hot milk, full fat, before bed.
been there, done that... does not work for me.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
My husband bought me a little sound machine for Christmas, and I go to sleep every night to the sound of the ocean. It's wonderful!

Controlling your thoughts and your breathing can help more than anything. Force yourself to breath deeply and slowly, establishing a rhythm. Think of someplace peaceful, like the seashore or a deep green forest. Exclude all the day to day stuff, and concentrate on relaxing your body from the toes up.
Unfortunately sound machine would not work for me... I'm deaf.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I have had trouble with insomnia from time to time. For me, it was always when one of my babies began sleeping through the night - and all of mine were very late to do this. Well, I would find that they were sleeping through and I was still waking up throughout the night or unable to get to sleep in the first place! It took a concerted effort on my part to start sleeping again but here are the things that helped me:
Exercise early in the day. Enough to get tired. But not too close to bedtime or it can actually refresh you and make it harder to sleep.
Melatonin supplements.
A hot bath just before bed.
Making the bedroom completely dark.
No activities in the bed other than sleep (and sex, if you're lucky.) If you're tossing and turning, get up. Don't eat a snack or anything in bed. Also, don't watch TV in bed. In other words, make the bed a place that your body learns to associate only with sleep.
Keep the bedroom temperature on the cool side.
Use a very low fan for the white noise and the soothing sensation. (I know the noise doesn't apply in your case.)
Don't use alcohol near bedtime unless you know it helps you get a whole night's sleep. When I drink before bed, I fall asleep almost instantly but I wake up a couple of hours later and I can't get back to sleep.

Good luck, LadyCook. I know what a frustrating problem this is.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #24
Hospitality Queen

I've also had a few close friends who suffer from anxiety issues who've slept horribly till the doctor prescribed anti-anxiety meds.

PS - just found out in the last year that bananas were the cause of my heartburn too, ladycook. Glad to know it's not just me!
Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Fishers mom raises a good point - bed is for sleeping (and sex) and nothing else...no phones, no laptops, no tv. Your body realizes that when it goes into bed and under the blanket, it is time to sleep - you should not disrupt this rhythm by introducing other non-sleep related items into your bedroom.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It's interesting, I usually have no trouble sleeping. If I do, as I said, a hot bath seems to work. Now and then though, I will lie there totally unable to sleep--knowing that I should be tired but not even feeling tired. When that happens, I get up and get on the computer. I put sleep out of my mind and write. The funny thing is, I often have more inspiration at these times and I can get quite a bit done. When I have written for awhile, I am often able to go to sleep.

So, if you truly are not able to get to sleep, try not trying. Of course this would only be an occasional solution. If you are having difficulties with sleep on a regular basis, you should definitely see a doctor about it.

Barbara
P.S. You mentioned reading a boring book. Reading a boring book does not put me to sleep, it just aggravates me. Reading a book I enjoy sometimes relaxes me enough to sleep.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
Fishers mom raises a good point - bed is for sleeping (and sex) and nothing else...no phones, no laptops, no tv. Your body realizes that when it goes into bed and under the blanket, it is time to sleep - you should not disrupt this rhythm by introducing other non-sleep related items into your bedroom.
no problem with that. my bedroom is for sleeping only, I open the window about 2-3 inches for air flow. I have no tv in the room, no laptop either in there. Just the bed, dresser, desk, lamp and a chair.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

It's simple...a glass (6 or 8 ounces) of red wine...sip just before gettimg in the bed.... Sweet dreams.......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #29
Executive Chef

My biggest problem is trying to get to sleep. I worry about everything going on in my life and can't stop thinking. I have been stretching every night for 10-15 minutes right before I climb into bed and it has been helping. I also focus on one thing that makes me happy (sounds cheesy but I imagine large fields of flowers and myself walking through them) this seems to help me relax and eventually fall asleep.

I also stiffen my entire body and relax one part at a time until my entire body is slightly tingling, from my neck to my toes. This really helps, my husband does this too.

I hope you find sleep soon!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Your best bet will be talking with your doctor.

I was going to offer my father to tell you some of his stories, but since you are deaf then they won't really phase you. His stories do wonders for others though.

I have not heard of triptophan being banned Amy. It occurs naturally in lots of foods so I don't know how a ban would work. Turkey is what it is most commonly associated with. Everyone thinks they get tired after Thanksgiving dinner because of it. Triptophan only make you tired on an empty stomach though. What people really get tired from on Thanksgiving is over eating.