"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Your best bet will be talking with your doctor.

I was going to offer my father to tell you some of his stories, but since you are deaf then they won't really phase you. His stories do wonders for others though.

I have not heard of triptophan being banned Amy. It occurs naturally in lots of foods so I don't know how a ban would work. Turkey is what it is most commonly associated with. Everyone thinks they get tired after Thanksgiving dinner because of it. Triptophan only make you tired on an empty stomach though. What people really get tired from on Thanksgiving is over eating.
Burp!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Your best bet will be talking with your doctor.

I was going to offer my father to tell you some of his stories, but since you are deaf then they won't really phase you. His stories do wonders for others though.

I have not heard of triptophan being banned Amy. It occurs naturally in lots of foods so I don't know how a ban would work. Turkey is what it is most commonly associated with. Everyone thinks they get tired after Thanksgiving dinner because of it. Triptophan only make you tired on an empty stomach though. What people really get tired from on Thanksgiving is over eating.

I was referring to the pill form. I have not purchased L-tryptophan in pill form from a health food store since prior to 2002, but did hear about problems & the pill form being banned or taken off shelves.

Tryptophan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #33
Everymom

I didn't read the whole thread but you can try melatonin. It is naturally produced by your body, you can purchase it OTC from your pharmacist and it has no residual effects in the AM (usually). Works well for occasional sleeplessness.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but you can try melatonin. It is naturally produced by your body, you can purchase it OTC from your pharmacist and it has no residual effects in the AM (usually). Works well for occasional sleeplessness.
I take Melatonin every night have been for years and years. It can take a few nights for it to kick in. Melatonin is made by your body but as you get older it makes less and less. I like the Source Naturals brand it is a sublingual which means it dissolves under your tongue meaning it will only take about 20 minutes to fall asleep. Its peppermint flavor 2.5 MG works like a dream. I used to take a whole one for a year or two but now I get by with about a quarter of the pill. Its also supposed to be a powerful anti-oxidant. If you have a lot on your mind it doe's not work as well but after a while you learn that bedtime is just that bedtime. I always tell my self not to think about what is bugging me if in fact something is bugging me when I go to bed, because you know you will think about it as soon as you wake up.
I used to have a terrible time falling asleep and not able to stay asleep in the early morning now I love going to bed I sleep like a baby.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #36
Everymom

Thanks jpmcgrew! You were the best info I could have given on this! LOL!! (BTW, newsletter on its way to you)
Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I have learned that propping a book on the bed, so it can't fall and wake me, light as low as it can be, while still allowing me to read works. When I can't sleep, it is because I am worried, so if I read and get involved in the story, I think calmly about the plot of the story not my worries and then, suddenly I am asleep.

Also, I do Taoist Tai Chi. Check the website at Taoist.org, and learn about us. If there is one near, it will energize you for an hour or two after the practice, and then you can sleep for seven hours straight. Wonderful stuff.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 PM   #38
Executive Chef

All I know is some of us just can't fall asleep no matter what we do and we need a bit of help, Iv'e taken Melatonin at least 15 years and have no intention of stopping, As I said before if you are wired it doe's not work as well. So what I mean is you do hafto work on not running thoughts over and over again . I have mastered the ruminating which is in my mind the biggest cause of not being able to sleep.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Thanks for this JP. I have taken melatonin at different times when I had trouble sleeping but not lately. This article says there is research to suggest that it may improve thyroid function for ladies "of a certain age". I didn't know that but I've been wondering if my thyroid might be a little sluggish - I think I'll get some melatonin tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I think good sleep also involves clean bedding a cool room ,fresh air from a cracked window in the winter and cool air in the summer.I can not sleep with any kind of light even from the clock even the full moon can bug me. I want it pitch black.Oh and a big glass of water by the bed. A down comforter is the best sleeping for me no top sheet no blanket no cover. Just a down comforter inside a duvet like they do in Germany, Australia etc. The down regulates the heat from your body wicking away the heat or warming you as you need it.. Pretty amazing really.
I have lighter down comforters for the summer and heavier ones for the winter.