Trouble sleeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I have tried chamomile tea , tried reading a boring book. I don't like over the counter meds for sleep, makes me so groggy the next day so I avoid it.
Any ideas to help me sleep? I toss and turn so much , I end up getting up.

First, call your dr. and see what they say.
DH takes Benedryl at night. Pharmicist even said ok and Dr. said will not hurt him.
It basically is the same as the OTC sleep aides, but, doesn't give him after affects.

You might also consider recording yourself on those occasions where you do sleep. Let your Dr. listen to it as it might help him/her diagnose any problems you might be having. Never know it could be a sleeping disorder, happened to my wife.
But I know how you feel, I have a hard time sleeping as well, but for other reasons.

Think about how you put a baby to sleep - it also works on us "big babies" ;)
Warm milk and/or a nice warm bath work wonders. Also, if you put a bit of lavender oil in the bathtub, it really helps.

Another idea: many studies have shown that a cluttered room makes studying and relaxing nearly impossible. Just a thought.

I drink a cup of hot chocolate (yes, it has caffeine, but very little), light a scented candle, and take a warm bath. Sometimes I take Melatonin 3, which is a natural sleep aid I get at GNC. I also pray about it, and I try not to think about anything stressful close to bedtime.

:)Barbara

I have tried chamomile tea , tried reading a boring book. I don't like over the counter meds for sleep, makes me so groggy the next day so I avoid it.
Any ideas to help me sleep? I toss and turn so much , I end up getting up.

Go to sleep at the same time every night - don't take naps in between.

Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol or stimulants.

Triptophan (sp?) use to help, i.e. pills, cottage cheese or milk, but think it's been banned.

Exercise during the day.

Don't fight it! If I can't aleep I get up & read, watch tv etc until I am tired. Some schools of thought are to stay in bed. If you can, great - if not get up & do whatever until you are sleepy. Sometimes I play computer games - clears my head of stress.

Have a cozy/compy sleeping environment - sheets/pillow/blankies/mattress. Drown out outside or inside disturbances. Get blackout shades/curtains. I sometimes only get about 4-5 hours. But, that's better to me than sleeping over 8 hours.

If the problem continues, seek out a doc's advice.

Last edited:
I drink a cup of hot chocolate (yes, it has caffeine, but very little), light a scented candle, and take a warm bath. Sometimes I take Melatonin 3, which is a natural sleep aid I get at GNC. I also pray about it, and I try not to think about anything stressful close to bedtime.

:)Barbara

I had been drinking hot chocolate too, I forgot to add that in my original post.

Go to sleep at the same time every night - don't take naps in between.

Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol or stimulants.

Triptophan (sp?) use to help, i.e. pills, cottage cheese or milk, but think it's been banned.

Exercise during the day.

Don't fight it! If I can't aleep I get up & read, watch tv etc until I am tired. Some schools of thought are to stay in bed. If you can, great - if not get up & do whatever until you are sleepy. Sometimes I play computer games - clears my head of stress.

Have a cozy/compy sleeping environment - sheets/pillow/blankies/mattress. Drown out outside or inside disturbances. Get blackout shades/curtains. I sometimes only get about 4-5 hours. But, that's better to me than sleeping over 8 hours.

If the problem continues, seek out a doc's advice.

I have gotten up and read boring books and I do make my room dark as possible, I can't sleep if there is light.

Think about how you put a baby to sleep - it also works on us "big babies" ;)
Warm milk and/or a nice warm bath work wonders. Also, if you put a bit of lavender oil in the bathtub, it really helps.

Another idea: many studies have shown that a cluttered room makes studying and relaxing nearly impossible. Just a thought.

I've also done the warm milk, but not often, it seems to increase my sinus problems, congestion.

can't sleep

poor sleep is the bane of my life. takes me hours to fall asleep. i have tried everthing, otc. no food, food . dark room, no noise.sleep just eludes me. i have told many doctors, over the years. not one had a clue or a remendy.

have new doctor, haven't seen him yet. i will discuss it with him , who knows he may have an answer.

babe

My husband bought me a little sound machine for Christmas, and I go to sleep every night to the sound of the ocean. It's wonderful!

Controlling your thoughts and your breathing can help more than anything. Force yourself to breath deeply and slowly, establishing a rhythm. Think of someplace peaceful, like the seashore or a deep green forest. Exclude all the day to day stuff, and concentrate on relaxing your body from the toes up.

Also, a very cool room helps one go to sleep. Milk only works if it's heated. A banana also has those same chemicals in it as heated milk.

Not sure if you drink or not, but if you are not a heavy drinker, then this could help:

Get a finger or two of brandy in the bottom of a tall glass. Pour in hot (not boiling) water to the top of the glass. Drink it as quickly as you can.

I do this if I am ill and want to get to sleep quickly, as it lets me fall asleep earlier than I would otherwise.

Also, getting enough sunshine during the day can aid in getting to sleep at night. That's what melatonin simulates.

LEFSE - I never knew it had to be whole milk - there's nothing better than a warm mug of milk while sitting in bed reading a cookbook! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom