Trying to avoid another "Soy Chicken Incident" with Falafel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
SO,

each year I go to the rennaisance(sp) fair in new york. I Always have the felafel there, because it is probably the best felafel Ive ever had ( so good that I actually took a picture of it and put it my photo album as a fond memory).

Anyway, Ive had felafel at many restaurants, and this tastes so much better, and the consistancy is different, Ive wondered if it is strictly made from chickpeas, or if they slipped something else in there.

So my question is, when someone orders felafel, is it ALWAYS made in a vegetarian way ( chickpeas....) or can they slip some lamb or whatever in there for a better taste and texture, and still call it felafel ??

Up until now, Ive assumed it is vegetarian, and order it every year ( and take a pic of it every year also), but im just wondering if felafel has many non vegetarian variations??

Just seems to taste too good

I have never heard of a non vegetarian fallafal. That does not mean it does not exist of course, but I have always know it to be vegetarian.

I think the only issue MIGHT be is if the chickpeas were made from the dried state in chicken broth versus water.

"Soy Chicken Incident" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think it's safe to assume that felafel everywhere is made without meat, unless otherwise indicated.

Good, because im looking foward to my annual Ren Fair felafel this fall.

If you're really worried, you might check to make sure they cook the chick peas in water or vegetable stock.

I don't know why they would use chicken stock without announcing it, but again, you never know.

I don't know why they would use chicken stock without announcing it, but again, you never know.

Me neither - but at this point I'd ask! :LOL: Remember some cooking show contest (can't remember the show) but two contestants cooked their risotto for a vegetarian function in chicken broth - oops! It's a matter of not thinking and if the person cooking is not vegetarian, or understands that the intent is to turn out a dish that is normally suitable for same, it "could" happen.

Last edited:
Larry, I like your ability to laugh at yourself and the situation over this :)

I agree with everyone saying you should ask about it, and why not ask them their secret while you at it? Then you could make your own falafel better than every other restaurant.

Falafel is made with chickpeas - chickpeas are soaked overnight in water until they puff up. You get rid of that water. Put them in a blender with little bit of water garlic and make a batter. Add herbs, salt, spices and you are all set to make the falafel.

I have actually seen it made from scratch when I was in Eygpt. There is no stock used in falafel.

I did find the soy chicken episode funny as well. Actually one thing I will say is that you can never be too sure.

I don't eat pork and I ordered a lobster stir fry once at Bob Chinns which is a very popular seafood joint in Chicago. A little while later the waitress came and informed me that they use pork stock to make it and she was asked to inform the guest that. Who would have guessed so I can understand that you can never be too careful.

During my recent visit to Spain the cheese sticks had Jamon (ham) in it. I have never seen ham in cheese sticks, it was good that we were with a bunch of collagues from work who asked me to wait before trying it so they can ensure there is no pork and viola they were right there was pork in it :)

I have no religious, ethical, or allergy reasons for not eating certain items, but I can certainly appreciate the dilemna of those who do. Two episodes.
My daughter has an extreme allergy problem, one of which is peanuts. At one point, she ate an M&M, and immediatly started breaking out. Checking with the manufacturer, we learned that they did indeed vary their oils based on availability and price. I don't know how anyone would know of changes such as these.
Second incident. I recently ordered takeout chinese from a restaurant with which I had been dealing over several years and that had now changed hands. Ordered something with lobster in it. Instead, it had crawfish tails. The new owner denied any change. But I can tell the difference. Have not gone back.

Larry, I like your ability to laugh at yourself and the situation over this :)

All I can do is laugh and learn.

I try to take things light-hearted, and get as much fun out of a situation as I can. My job is stressful enough, do need any stress over simple things like this;)

As a working Renny, I can assure you, there won't be a language barrier at the Ren Faire. Just ask, they'll give you the details of how big the cans the chickpeas come out of are. I've seen them, they're huge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom