"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Trying to find a job....

... has proved difficult :( The only calls I get are for call center environments or a job that has all cold calling.

Where are all the good sales and marketing jobs here in Montreal? This is really discouraging. :( It's coming into my 4th month of unemployment.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Having worked in call center environments I know why you would not want something like that. That is often times the best way to break into the sales department of a company though. You do a few months to a year in the call center and then apply from the inside. I know when I worked for Monster.com that was how all the jobs were obtained.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

I've done the call centre thing and really don't want to go back. I despise cold calling with all my soul.

I'd really be happy with an entry level position in a nice company that isn't sales. I would really like something like admin assistant to marketing manager, or something along those lines.

It's SO frustrating trying to find a job here.... a good job.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Have you tried looking into getting a job with the government? They have some interesting jobs that may lead to what you are looking for. They pay really well too. They usually hire on a regular basis.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

What about that internship you had?

Call the person who you interned for up and ask for a meeting. At the meeting ask him for advice on breaking into the business world. Bring 10 copies of your resume and make sure it looks very professional. Ask him to keep several copies in case he knows someone who is looking to hire someone.

Then do this same thing with anyone else you can think of that might be in a position to help you. Friends/relatives, friends of friends, relatives of relatives.

This is called "networking" and it works... though it may take a while.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyEmma
Friends/relatives, friends of friends, relatives of relatives.

This is called "networking" and it works... though it may take a while.
So often it is not "what" you know, but "who" you know....Do as Miss Jenny suggest...talk to everybody you know, and tell them you want to go to work...

Best Wishes and Luck!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Have you tried looking into getting a job with the government? They have some interesting jobs that may lead to what you are looking for. They pay really well too. They usually hire on a regular basis.
Yep, my uncle works for the government and has sent my resume off to all his HR department contacts. Still waiting...

As for networking, I am pretty good at it, but I am in a brand new city.

If worse comes to worse, I could always join the army LOL.. S.O. works in recruiting.. hehe
Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

It's tough trying to find a job during a recession - I've been there. I worked a series of temp jobs through Kelly Services and similar organizations. I ended up getting hired by one and worked there for four years. That's one avenue to explore - you get a look at them and the work environment, and they get a look at you and your work habits. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Tell me about it!

It was impossible for me to find one. Now I don't have to go through THAT any more!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Sous Chef

looking for a job sucks.... especially in a tough economy.

The call center thing is horrid.... I worked customer service for a phone company for a couple summers during college... totally absurd job.

As mentioned personal contacts can be your best bet... just keep a positive attitude.