"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We use squirrly bulbs here and love how long they last. The local electric utility subsidized bulbs at Home Depot, so a 5 pack was like a $1.19 so we stocked up. By the time that we are done with these, LEDs should be at a very reasonable price, they are already on their way there.
All our bulbs were subsidized by the local utility, too...after I had already changed over. I still bought replacements. So far I have one lamp that has never been turned off for the last 6 years, still haven't had to replace it. Have replaced others, mainly in the bathroom, that get turned on and off all the time. Oh! The porch lights are left on all the time and haven't replaced them, either.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We use squirrly bulbs here and love how long they last. The local electric utility subsidized bulbs at Home Depot, so a 5 pack was like a $1.19 so we stocked up. By the time that we are done with these, LEDs should be at a very reasonable price, they are already on their way there.
That is a great price. You can't even buy one of them here for that price. Fortunately, Spike gets a contractor's discount. Think we get them to make the official name Squirrly?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

while i support the change over to much more efficient cfl and led lighting, everyone should check for recalls on the lamps they've installed. several have had problems where they smoked and were at risk of fire.

thanks once again to the stringent chinese manufacturing processes.

also, not all led lamps are the same size as the incandescents that they are supposed to replace due to the mini electronics in their bases. this doesn't cause a problem for the most part, but in some cases the led lamp sticks out of it's intended housing. it's not dangerous, just ugly.

if they can work out these little details, led is definitely the way to go. they're even creating frosted and coloured coverings for led lamps to create the desired lighting effects.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I don't have to pay any utility bills, please let me get used to the squirrly bulbs. I go much slower nowadays.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We've been switched over to CFLs for awhile, but I'm holding on to the tungstens in case we need them, like for the Easy Bake oven.

We've had to replace 2 CFLs so far, one being the 150 W in the kitchen.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

it's funny, i've never heard of anyone call a bulb by it's filament type such as tungsten. it's usually called incandescent. there's several other type of bulbs (or lamps as they're also known) that are incandescent but don't use an argon/tungsten combo.

dawg, buy the higher watt incandescents now while you can, dawg. they'll be as rare as old edison carbon bulbs soon.

btw, i'm not sure if i'm going to take any advice on baking from you again any time soon, lol. (just kidding. )
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

BT, I've got a whole bunch of incandescents in a cupboard, they still work in all the sockets. Why get rid of them?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

but, but, if you use them up, you'll not only be wasting energy, you won't be able to bake me a mini cake or pie in a few years...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is true. I'll pick up a few more tomorrow and add to the stash. The world will still need Easy Bake ovens.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

yer darn tootin'!

i looked into buying my boy an easy bake oven a few years ago when he became interested in cooking. the only ones available wete pink and advertised only for girls.

how reverse chauvanistic is that? or would that still just be regular chauvamistic, expecting only young girls to be interested in baking.

anywho, some kid started a campaign to make an easy bake for boys, or at least a gender neutral one for all.

i think they should make a version that's black with red racing flames and white "go faster" stripes over the top for boys.

i think the latest ones use some kind of heating element instead of a bulb, taking all of the fun out of it.