"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
How many Greg's does it take to screw in a light bulb?

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #32
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Lowes provides recycling bins at all their stores' entrances that collect CFLs, rechargeable batteries and, I think, plastic bags. (I take bags back to grocery stores.) Don't know about that other home improvement store since our daughter works at Lowes. Lowes also price-matches the prices from the other store so if you're heading to one of them I hope it is Lowes. Just sayin'...
I'm going to give my good CFLs to my first friend that wants them. My GF hates anything but incandescent so I already told her she can have all my remaining incandescent from the old house plus I have a new 4-pack of 60W and a new 4-pack of 100W (maybe 95W). Gotta treat the GF good, right?

GF doesn't use floods (65W). I got about a dozen 65W incandescent floods for anybody at DC who lives in Santa Clarita Valley or San Fernando Valley who wants to meet me at In 'n Out, Carl's Jr. or Tommy's and buy me a hamburger and fries. :)

I have a bunch of CFLs I think I'll ask my new neighbors if they want. I have a few new ones I'll probably keep. I realize puttig an LED in the attic light was over the top. You use it like 30 minutes a year... I'll put a nice high intensity CFL there. My LED virginity is already tarnished by the 4 cool white fluorescents overhead in my garage.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #33
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, greg. fuzzy math or logic is a specialty of mine.

and most people would have no idea that tungsten is the filament in most old timey lamps.

it happens to he something i know more then i'd like about due to lighting on tv stages, and the literally hundreds, or maybe into the thousands of different types, sizes, and voltage lamps that computers have used since the early 60's.

the reason i mentioned leds not fitting all hoods/enclosures is that they can be a little longer than cfl or incandescent lamps such as in small fixtures in art deco recesses and ceiling fans, so you just have to measure.

btw, i'm amazed at how much work, calculations, and effort you've put into this project, and have shared with us.

kudos, and thanks.
Thanks BT for the compliment. I'm doing the work and calculations, and the work to reduce the process into step by step, partly to commemorate my returning to regluar posting on DC, and partly if you learn something by your labor, why not pass it on and help other people get the benefit too?

If I didn't care about other people I'd just chuck the whole lot into trash

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote