Tutoring a child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'm pretty sure I started this, but even using everything I know I cannot find the thread. Oh, well.

A couple of months ago I had a young friend who needed some help. Those of you who have come to know me know that I read to a blind friend and a RH crippled friend a couple of times a week. This is the 8 year old son of their care-giver. She was at wits end. My older friends actually had asked me if there was something they could do, in their condition, to "give back" to society. I went home and called back, how about we work with this child once a week?

I'm on week three now. The first two were easy, both times it wasn't a school day, so a half hour of doing school work was no biggie. This past week was harder, there was so much going on in his life that it was difficult, but we still struggled through it all (I have lessons from his teacher and help him with homework). I really feel I'm helping, and know it is true because after one session his mom called and told me that she and his teacher already saw a difference. At one point he asked, "Oh, Claire, how many more minutes do I have to do?" I'd already decided that he'd done enough, and that we were going to read a story book I had (me reading most of it, and having him read a line or two). My old ladies have been very happy, even though not actively involved, the mom is absolutely over the moon, the teacher tells her that he can see a difference.

No greater feeling then knowing you had a hand in helping a child succeed. Way to go! My son's 3rd. grade teacher noticed the first month of school that he was over a year behind his classmates in reading, so with some help from her, 2 extended school days a week and support at home by the end of the year he was reading at beginning 3rd. grade level. We continued this program and when he finished 5th grade back in June he was top of his class in reading and his first middle school (6th. grade) report card this year he made the A/B Honor Roll for the first time. He's always been a bit shy and lacking confidence, but boy did that boost his confidence. My teacher really liked what I did with him at home. Whatever book he was reading, I had to read also. It got to be like a competition between us. And the look of excitment in his eyes when we talk about what's happening in the book is awesome.

By the way, that was supposed to be RA, not RH! Well yesterday's lesson was interesting. His teacher caught up with me (the teacher sent me the lessons), so I skipped ahead. What did I wind up with? Possessive. Plural and singular. I'm trying to explain this to a second grader. After our lesson, I was talking to his mother in the kitchen, and as I expected, she didn't get it. Came home and talked to hubby. Isn't that a little advanced for second grade. Most adults I know screw it up. Apostrophe s, s apostrophe.

Wow, that is a wonderfull thing you are doing. I wish you the best of luck with your service to the community. Its a great feeling to give back. You should be very proud of yourself!

I have to admit as I scanned the thread titles I thought yours said torturing a child. (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom