Tutoring Small Children at School.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The boy whom I tutored last was kind of bored like me, and I cheered him up. In
return, he did the same with me!

He's like the child that I wish I had!!!

Last edited:
I can relate to that, Inferno.

It's rough at times, but I truly hope that you can find some comfort in everything that you do.

Teenagers usually talk about their social lives, watch and participate in sports, start dating and stuff like that. Little kids usually like to run around, play around and have fun.

The boy who I mainly like, I got him to finish reading a book that he's been reading in stages. Actually, I read it to him. Nevertheless, I look at it as him having read it completely.

I congratulated him and rewarded him with the oportunity to draw. "I'm very proud of you. You finished the book. Now you get to draw if you want to!" He shouted; "Yay!!" He was so happy and delighted when I told him that! He had a big smile on his face!

He didn't get to draw all week because the main goal is to get him and the others interested in reading. His work paid off. I still try to get him to read
a few pages though.

Last edited:
I guess you could say that I'm "tutoring" or mentoring the 15 year old daughter of one of our Russians. I'm doing conversational English with her on the weekend and we cook together. She loved making the chocolate chip cookies. Her parents joined us and brought some Russian dishes. Next weekend I told her we could make pizza.

I, ALSO, mentor an 11-year-old girl who is in the 5th grade. I only get to see her once a week because the rest of the week she goes on field trips with her classmates.

She can only see me on Tuesdays.

Last edited:
Helping children is always a rewarding experience! DH is one exam away from getting his bachelors of education and as I type this he is tutoring a 10 year old girl with her math. He always comes home and acts silly! Any time he is around kids he starts to act like one. Believe how I felt when he did a 3 month long internship with grade 4's last fall.. oh my! LOL

Bouncing everywhere... When we have children I'm going to have an extra one!

Thyat's so good that he feels and acts like a kid. It's the most wonderful thing and is the next best thing to having one of his own!!

I feel that way with the 7-year-old boy at school. I look at him and at times, I feel so sad that I never had any kids of my own! I wish that I had a child like him. He makes me feel like a kid in a candy store!!!

corey, is it really fair to make these kids read the instruction manuals for stand mixers?

lol, j/k.

what you are doing, not only teaching but as a volunteer, is the highest form of service that a person can provide to his or her society. congrats and way to go!!!!

Thank you!

It's so rewarding to be able to make a difference and be a part of a child's ability to read, write and mentor them!!

It's fun, not to mention being able to get them to master their reading skills.

Who knows? Maybe some of them will grow up to become world-class cooks and chefs. I'd like to see that happen.

Which means that they still have to learn to read and do the math.

Last edited:
The little boy that I speak so highly of had a problem today that was so upsetting that he was crying uncontrollably.

Seems that one of his classmates had started a cruel & ugly rumor on him that isn't even true! Of course he believed it for a while.

I cheered him up once more because it saddened me deeply to see him in that bad mood. He was so ticked off, angry and irate that he was literally banging his fists hard on the table in pure frustration as he wailed away!

I told him that his problem is just a cause of someone who wanted to see him in misery and that it more than likely is not nessecarily be true at all. I DID manage to get him to return to his normal happy self.

I really like this kid a lot, and after he left the room to go back upstairs to class, I cried a few tears myself. I've really became attached to him. He has cheered me up many times.

The coordinator said that he'll talk to his teacher to try to get to the root of the problem so that the boy won't have to go through this again.

We weren't supposed to be the ones that he came to with the problem, but how do you turn away a little boy who has just been embarrassed & poked fun at so badly that he thinks the bottom has been dropped out from under him, that it put him in such deep pain and sorrow like that? I wouldn't. I'm going to be there for him no matter what!:(

Last edited:
I was told yesterday that the boy had possibly overheard the conversation between two of his classmates and he assumed that it was HIM that they were talking about.

So he thought the worst would happen, he got so mad that when he came downstairs, that he cried a river.

Last edited:
I'm not going to talk to him like that. I'm very soft-hearted when it comes to kids, especially THIS one! I'm like a big ole teddy bear with them. I will explain it to him in a way that will not upset him or make him mad.

He's just a little kid, and he probably made an honest mistake in thinking that HE was the victim of that conversation between the two classmates. He's only 7, for Petes' sake.

However, I DID mention to him that if he didn't hear it come from his adoptive family, then it more than more then likely, it isn't true, and that he probably has nothing to worry about.

He thought that he might end up going back to the foster home. He was beside himself!

He should be alright by now. I'll be with him again on Tuesday to tutor him some more. I hope that he still isn't upset about that. But I think he'll forget about it.

Last edited:
My mother taught kindergarten for 30 years. When she started out, there were no teacher's aids, no programs for special needs children, and almost no help for abused children. When she went to the authorities about one little girl who was constantly bruised and burned with cigarettes and even a hot iron, they didn't even bother to visit the home. That little girl died when she was in the fourth grade.
I saw her walk the floor many nights, worrying about her little ones.

We must be thankful that in these days children have a better chance.

Yes you're right, and I just can't stop caring about this child.

We all make mistakes, and there is no one out there who is purely perfect, especially children. Like adults, they live and learn also. And they are entitled to make mistakes - part of learning and growing up.

He just thought that he was being talked about and myself and the coordinator helped bring him back around again.

I've seen him angry before, but this time he was furious, out of his mind and went bonkers. He went nuts! I'm just so glad that I was able to help him understand that what he heard more than likely isn't true at all.

Last edited:
You all are making me miss teaching. I taught kindergarten for two years and it was such a great experience. I am so glad you are willing to work with this little boy! Having that one-on-one experience is one of the best things kids can get!

Yes, how rewarding?!

In little a while, him & I will probably look back at this and laugh about it!

I want him and the others to do better than I did - to have the things that I couldn't get when I was their age! And to be respectable teens and adults.

If I could adopt this kid myself, I'd do so without any hesitation at all! That's how much I like him. He's almost like a son to me!

Last edited:
Bad news.

My friend has been pulled from the tutoring program. The coordinator felt that the boy didn't show enough interest in the program, as he was being distracted by children doing other activies.

Seems that the boy might be having & dealing with personal issues at home.

I tried to pursuade the guy to let him stay, but he didn't bend too much. Hopefully, he let him come down and see me occasionally.

But I DO have another boy in his place who LOVES to read and talk about science, nature and animals! This one is very talkative and likes to talk me to death. But I don't mind at all. I get a real kick out of him!!:LOL:

And then there is a six-year-old who talks almost like a seasoned professor! He likes to read about geography and arciology He's just too smart for his own good! He's small for his age, is only in the first grade, yet he has the IQ of an 8th grader!! I'm truly amazed at how much he knows already. His parents must be teaching him very well!:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom