"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Cooking is a phenominal way to teach math. Our 11 y.o. HATES math, and yet...he can double a recipe in his head now...just something to consider...lots of no bake recipes out there for kids...

Great job with Student X (lol) keep up the good work!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Math wasn't one of my favorites in school either, and it still isn't today. Never liked history either, but I got high grades in it.

I can understand why my little friend doesn't like math. Too much work!

But I did tell him that it's part of what he must learn at school, and that it WILL help him in his later school years. There ARE math sessions there as well.

He mostly likes to read & draw. And have a little fun playing around. Like most kids do.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

There are a lot of books that subtly teach math in a fun way (and the kids don't even realize they are learning math), like Spaghetti for All. Math and drawing go great together too. Example: 4 guys painted 3 bulldogs on their skateboards; how many bulldogs did they paint altogether. (3 + 3 + 3 + 3 or 4 x 3). When my class was learning about angles last year, I had groups make murals of a town (one group did an amusement park). They had to use (and label) acute, obtuse, and right angles, as well as at least one 45 degree, 90 degree, and 180 degree angle. The kids had a lot of fun, they got better at using protractors, and they reinforced what they already knew about angles.

Barbara
Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

That's a good idea!

I'll ask the coordinator about that when I go back on Tuesday.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Ya'll are the best!!! There is nothing that provides greater rewards than investing your time in a child. Just the fact that an adult (who isn't their parent and therefore doesn't have to) chooses to spend time with a child makes that child feel special and important. After all, they must be pretty special if a grown up wants to listen to them and read to them and spend their time with them. This is a powerful, powerful gift and I applaud all of you!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
Cook

Well what you're doing is something I never could do. I have a very short temper and kids usually set it off pretty fast (amongst other things that I'd rather not start to mention). I've tutored my cousin in math (she's about 16 years old I think) and that wasn't always the most fun. I like math and love sciences (although I never really had a choice about it) ... but am dreadful at history, english, economics, etc...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #17
Master Chef

I used to teach elementary school and am doing volunteering at our local international school. I love it and it gets me out of the apartment twice a week. They offered me a full time job but I'm happier being flexible. Our school in Texas started a reading program where the children and their assigned mentor would read the same book and then discuss the book at a lunch. I loved it. Had a group of 4th graders and their assigned book was "How to Eat Fried Worms". We really had a good time discussing it. As their science teacher I had recommended that they read "Owls in the Family" ---the librarian wanted to know what the deal was---she could not keep it on the shelves anymore.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Well what you're doing is something I never could do. I have a very short temper and kids usually set it off pretty fast (amongst other things that I'd rather not start to mention). I've tutored my cousin in math (she's about 16 years old I think) and that wasn't always the most fun. I like math and love sciences (although I never really had a choice about it) ... but am dreadful at history, english, economics, etc...
Well, I think that you deserve extra kudos for tutoring your cousin since kids get on your nerves!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Kids in the past have also ruffled my feathers as well. They really pushed me off the cliff!

Sometimes they'll test you to see just how far they can go with you and how much they can get away with. They'll push your buttons and they can make you suffer & be miserable. They don't know any better. And if the parents let them do that at home to others, then, they are the ones to blame.

But kids are kids and their behavior with adults start at home. In addition to that, they must also learn the true values of having people in their live to help them succeed with their goals in life.

I mainly want the kids I tutor to be the best they can be and to earn the respect of all those who are their mentors and are helping them prepare for their teenage years.

Even with kids as young as the ones we tutor, they just can't buy your friendship. It is earned through respect and trust. But they haven't disrespected me, nor have they shown any bad behavior.

I see them running around, jumping and laughing and just being themselves.
Looking at them running and playing brings back memories of the time when I was a kid myself!!

Especially the boy who made the "bet" with me the other day! He provides fun and entertainment and makes me feel like a kid again! They say that there's a little kid in ALL of us.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post

I see them running around, jumping and laughing and just being themselves.
Looking at them running and playing brings back memories of the time when I was a kid myself!!

Especially the boy who made the "bet" with me the other day! He provides fun and entertainment and makes me feel like a kid again! They say that there's a little kid in ALL of us.
Well, my childhood was ... different to say the least. I didn't really do much jumping around or whatnot. I don't think it's something that goes away and I still have it today, just it's worse (I'd rather not mention it on here). Cooking usually helps calm me, which is one other reason why I try.

I tutored my cousin not to be generous but because she asked me to and paid me. I can stand older kids since usually they're more mature than a small kid, although sometimes it's the other way around.