"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

TV News Rant!

I have a real issue with TV new broadcasts. I hate to watch them as they struggle to justify the hours and hours of TV time they occupy.

Weekdays the news repeats every half hour from 4:00PM (or 5:00PM) through 6:00PM. It's the same broadcast repeated, sometimes with different talking heads.

Apparently, here in New England, the weather is super super important. We get a weather snippet in the first five minutes and another about five minutes after that, then a full-blown report about 15-17 minutes in, then a closing report at the end of the half hour.

If there is no blizzard, nor'easter, hurricane or other 'disaster', then the rain becomes a huge issue. If there's no rain, the temperature becomes the issue. The weather report is the same in the next newscast.

If there is a snowstorm, OMG, look out! Storm Center 4 or 5 or 7 kicks into gear. Jackets and ties come off, sweaters and boots go on and it around the clock snow storm news. It literally never stops.

Then there are the "on the scene reports". It's 11:00PM and a house fire was put out a couple of hours ago. Why, oh why is a reporter standing in the middle of the street in front of a dark house giving us a live report? How about the live report from outside the courthouse talking about what’s going on inside. Really? Can't you do that from the studio? Worst yet, if there is a hurricane, what is the benefit of sticking some poor schmuck out in the weather, getting blown around? Gotta create drama so people will tune in!

And when the news isn't on TV, there are ads for the news during commercial breaks teasing news reports. "Will the earth explode at midnight? Tune in at 11:00 to find out!"

All this artificial drama drives me crazy. I vote for four 15 minute reports each day. Given all the news outlets we have at our fingertips these days, do we really need any more than that?

Rant over. Film at 11:00PM.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

I agree with most of what you said Andy.

We live in Ventura County, next door and north of Los Angeles county. Our TV news casts come from Los Angeles and 99% of the broadcasted news is about Los Angeles. I really don't care about the gang shootings there, or the local politics there, or what freeways are blocked there. Those are all good reasons why I've always said Los Angeles is 60 miles south, but a world away. If it's important, we are more likely to be mentioned on the World News than on anything else.
Our "local" tv news just isn't local. My only real source of news in this county comes from our newspaper (Ventura County Star) and these days I read it online.

As far as repeating the same news over and over, they are banking on people who have just tuned in, but I agree it's really annoying.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It's not just in New England. That's pretty much why I stopped watching local news almost entirely about 15 years ago. I can get the bits of news I need without it and only tune in if there's something major happening that I want to keep an eye on. Also, NPR has about 10 minutes of local/state news every hour.

Andy, I'd suggest using the Off button more often
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Wine Guy

I agree.

We have a weather guy here named Ian Leonard who just drives me up a wall. He's like nails on a blackboard. First of all, he fancies himself a comedian, and is always making stupid jokes and mugging it up on camera. I know that Willard Scott got his start playing Ronald McDonald, but seriously... come on, dude. You're not Jerry Seinfeld. YOU'RE. A. WEATHERMAN.

Second, the minute a cloud floats overhead and a snowflake falls out of it, he takes off his jacket, rolls up his sleeves, loosens up his tie, and behaves as if it's the storm of the century. I can usually tell what's going on with the weather simply by how disheveled he looks. If you listened only to Ian, and didn't live in the area, you'd think we have crazy weather every week. Believe it or not, there have been times where nothing exciting is going on weather-wise, so he starts reporting on weather in other parts of the world.

When this dude comes on, I can't turn the channel quick enough.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I agree.

We have a weather guy here named Ian Leonard who just drives me up a wall...
We have a sports guy like that - too loud, too excitable and super annoying. Can't stand him.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I agree.

We have a weather guy here named Ian Leonard who just drives me up a wall. He's like nails on a blackboard. First of all, he fancies himself a comedian, and is always making stupid jokes and mugging it up on camera. I know that Willard Scott got his start playing Ronald McDonald, but seriously... come on, dude. You're not Jerry Seinfeld. YOU'RE. A. WEATHERMAN.

Second, the minute a cloud floats overhead and a snowflake falls out of it, he takes off his jacket, rolls up his sleeves, loosens up his tie, and behaves as if it's the storm of the century. I can usually tell what's going on with the weather simply by how disheveled he looks. If you listened only to Ian, and didn't live in the area, you'd think we have crazy weather every week. Believe it or not, there have been times where nothing exciting is going on weather-wise, so he starts reporting on weather in other parts of the world.

When this dude comes on, I can't turn the channel quick enough.
I just had to find him Steve. You mean you don't do the Polar Bear Plunge??

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Master Chef

I feel pretty much the same way.

I hate to see the same piece of file film footage from the morning Today show on the noon news and again on the evening news.

I hate to see the local news attempting to cover the national and world news.

I hate the fact that the evening news has been turned into more of a magazine show similar to 60 Minutes. You should not be able to provide a preview of the evening news at 7 am!

I hate it when major issues are reduced to sound bites!

I'm afraid the news is going the way of the newspaper. We have so many other options that the need for news programs on the major networks just does not exist anymore.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just had to find him Steve. You mean you don't do the Polar Bear Plunge??
Yep! That's him!

What a doofus.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I gave up watching news a long time ago. I'm much happier this way.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote