"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Since my one son is out of work that is all he does is either Twitter or Face book. don't you think this is one way of wasting time? He never goes to bed at regular time. I feel guilty when I post on this site. I do need personal help sometimes and that is why I ask insane questions. Not everyone is normal.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Since my one son is out of work that is all he does is either Twitter or Face book. don't you think this is one way of wasting time? He never goes to bed at regular time. I feel guilty when I post on this site. I do need personal help sometimes and that is why I ask insane questions. Not everyone is normal.
It can be addictive, but it can also help when looking for a job, or other things. James has applied for a couple jobs he found there by following a CAD job site. I can't list the things I am selling on ebay here at DC, but I can post the links to them at Twitter and Facebook, so it helps get them more exposure. So while it can be a waste of time, it can also help with networking. I almost forgot, I got a part time (just a couple months) job through a connection on Twitter (at Outsource to Freelancers, IT Companies, Programmers, Web Designers from India, Russia, USA, and more - oDesk). It won't be big money, but it could lead to something else. Job searching is what brought me to Twitter in the first place.

Has your son been looking for another job? (You don't have to answer that.). Maybe he could start using his hobby to help find a new job.

Barbara

Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Thanks for sharing the info about Twitter. I am so ignorant about the computer. Seems to be taking control of everyone's life. Every place it seems need computer. Kind of scary but at same time convenient. Guess they said the same thing about automobile.

My son has been out of work since August. He worked for Monsanto of all places for more than 10 years. While he was on vacation, his boss called him in to a urgent meeting. That is when they told him his job was being eliminated. He had to return to work so that he could send all his projects to his boss. He was computer programmer. Everyone seems to be in that field. So now here he stays trying to find a job comparable to one he had before. Many of his friends are having same problem. Just seems like a trickle down affect. So stressful and at same time makes one feel worthless.

All this may get deleted or placed somewhere else because of not talking about Twitter. I just didn't know what he does when he is on computer so long. I wouldn't want something to happen that would harm anything.

Worry, worry, worry and more worry. Have to call on 'inner strength' all the time.

Thanks again for sharing. If you aren't worried than I know this makes me feel better.