Two Cooks in the Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooksie

Senior Cook
My husband and I both love to cook, BUT we both have very strong personalities (aka hard-heads, bossy, my way is the "right" way, etc). While we like to cook together, we found ourselves disagreeing on the "how-to" and "when-to" all the time. So........we now agree in advance each night on who will be the chef and who will be the sous for the chef. Sometimes he is the chef and I am the sous, and sometimes I get the honor of chef and he is the sous. That has seemed to work well for us.

How about you? Do you have two cooks in the kitchen, and how does it work for you?

My wife plans the meals and does most of the shopping; I cook. It's better that way -- less bloodshed.

I Shop, I put it away, I cook and I clean up...Dh though has decided since he put in new granite counter tops, sink and such that he can now tell me how to cook. The man knows how to do breakfast if pushed to it..and I've been doing this since I was 10..I learned the hard way, many's the time it got dumped in the trash by my dad and I did it over, but I feel I came out on top, it is the once thing I adore doing other than my grand kids and feeding my frienda. Thanks I don't need help if I do I'll call you;) Why do our partners feel they need to dominate the situation?, why must one of us be top dog, instead of loving partners..?
kadesma

Why do our partners feel they need to dominate the situation?, why must one of us be top dog, instead of loving partners..?
kadesma

We are both still very loving partners. Neither of us really minds when the other is in charge. I admit that he cooks a lot of things better than me, but I can smoke him when it comes to other dishes. :)

I do all of the planning, shopping and cooking. The deal is I cook and my hubby cleans up. In the 5 years we've lived in this house, he turned the stove on once and made tacos (on a night I worked late) and when I got home and saw him manning the stove, I took his picture - I was shocked he knew how to turn the gas on.

I wish he would cook with me, but I dont mind doing all the prep and cooking, I'm very particular about how I like things done in the kitchen (as I'm sure most of us are here).

I shop cook and clean, by choice. Wife is an excellent cook, not so hot at clean up, and I LOVE to grocery shop.
She's been a Phd grad student for 6 years, so I took over cooking and cleaning (and laundry and house cleaning :) ) to give her more time to delve into the mysteries of plant genetics..... it works well for us!!

On the rare night when she wants to cook, I have to be VERY careful not to hover and re-stir and give advice... must leave the kitchen indeed!

sounds like sis and me. In my kitchen, I'm in charge. In her's, she is. If we lived together...um...we'd have two kitchens??

We are both still very loving partners. Neither of us really minds when the other is in charge. I admit that he cooks a lot of things better than me, but I can smoke him when it comes to other dishes. :)
That is wonderful to hear. Mine is a good man, he just likes to control things. He can't cook for beans, mommy did it all for her boys, but I have to admit I think he really wants to learn, so since I have a dear friend who wants some lessons, he is going to join her and away we go:LOL:
kadesma

Hmmm...my kitchen is mine, if he wants to eat he keeps his yapper shut, and if he wants to get stabbed he traspasses during meal prep...but he can make a mean grilled cheese when the occasion strikes!

Hmmm...my kitchen is mine, if he wants to eat he keeps his yapper shut, and if he wants to get stabbed he trespasses during meal prep...but he can make a mean grilled cheese when the occasion strikes!

hahaha

My man can cook! Better yet, he likes what I set in front of him, so I consider it a real compliment when he does that "mmmm mmhmm" thing and nods at me while we eat. We're both pretty good about letting the other just do their thing in the kitchen. I don't feel a need to hover or correct or offer advice. He's an adult and perfectly capable. =)

me & jake cook together quite well. it's kinda odd, with my apartment kitchen & nary enough room fer 1 & the 2 of us squeezed in there together without bickering over space allotted.
we work well together - he washes didhes, i put them away, then we cook dinners together. we don't speak too often while we cook except to say 'pass me the salt, babe?' or something similar.
then we dine on our efforts.

I would find your arrangement very uncomfortable. It sounds like you are doing an "Anything You can do, I can Do Better" dance, and I don't see how that can be good for the relationship.

I'm a cooking teacher, so I'm accustomed to leading in the kitchen. However when someone wants to cook for me, I'm happy to take the viewer's role and let them do it!

My favorite person to cook for is a good cook, but usually I cook and he does the dishes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom