"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Two Cooks in the Kitchen

My husband and I both love to cook, BUT we both have very strong personalities (aka hard-heads, bossy, my way is the "right" way, etc). While we like to cook together, we found ourselves disagreeing on the "how-to" and "when-to" all the time. So........we now agree in advance each night on who will be the chef and who will be the sous for the chef. Sometimes he is the chef and I am the sous, and sometimes I get the honor of chef and he is the sous. That has seemed to work well for us.

How about you? Do you have two cooks in the kitchen, and how does it work for you?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Head Chef

My wife plans the meals and does most of the shopping; I cook. It's better that way -- less bloodshed.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I Shop, I put it away, I cook and I clean up...Dh though has decided since he put in new granite counter tops, sink and such that he can now tell me how to cook. The man knows how to do breakfast if pushed to it..and I've been doing this since I was 10..I learned the hard way, many's the time it got dumped in the trash by my dad and I did it over, but I feel I came out on top, it is the once thing I adore doing other than my grand kids and feeding my frienda. Thanks I don't need help if I do I'll call you Why do our partners feel they need to dominate the situation?, why must one of us be top dog, instead of loving partners..?
kadesma
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
My wife plans the meals and does most of the shopping; I cook. It's better that way -- less bloodshed.
LOL--I hear ya!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Why do our partners feel they need to dominate the situation?, why must one of us be top dog, instead of loving partners..?
kadesma
We are both still very loving partners. Neither of us really minds when the other is in charge. I admit that he cooks a lot of things better than me, but I can smoke him when it comes to other dishes.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
Head Chef

I do all of the planning, shopping and cooking. The deal is I cook and my hubby cleans up. In the 5 years we've lived in this house, he turned the stove on once and made tacos (on a night I worked late) and when I got home and saw him manning the stove, I took his picture - I was shocked he knew how to turn the gas on.

I wish he would cook with me, but I dont mind doing all the prep and cooking, I'm very particular about how I like things done in the kitchen (as I'm sure most of us are here).
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Head Chef

I shop cook and clean, by choice. Wife is an excellent cook, not so hot at clean up, and I LOVE to grocery shop.
She's been a Phd grad student for 6 years, so I took over cooking and cleaning (and laundry and house cleaning :) ) to give her more time to delve into the mysteries of plant genetics..... it works well for us!!

On the rare night when she wants to cook, I have to be VERY careful not to hover and re-stir and give advice... must leave the kitchen indeed!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

sounds like sis and me. In my kitchen, I'm in charge. In her's, she is. If we lived together...um...we'd have two kitchens??
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooksie View Post
We are both still very loving partners. Neither of us really minds when the other is in charge. I admit that he cooks a lot of things better than me, but I can smoke him when it comes to other dishes.
That is wonderful to hear. Mine is a good man, he just likes to control things. He can't cook for beans, mommy did it all for her boys, but I have to admit I think he really wants to learn, so since I have a dear friend who wants some lessons, he is going to join her and away we go
kadesma
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hmmm...my kitchen is mine, if he wants to eat he keeps his yapper shut, and if he wants to get stabbed he traspasses during meal prep...but he can make a mean grilled cheese when the occasion strikes!