"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
got baskin robbins?
oh yea! cake & ice cream for me please

Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #52
Executive Chef

oh wow, guys. i just heard there will be one HUGE 121212 sandy relief concert tonight at 7:30 eastern time on t.v.--the biggest EVER gathering of star talent and bands, including: bruce springsteen and the e street band, the stones, paul mcartney, kanye west, and many, many others. bittersweet how it takes a tragedy such as hurricane sandy, or 9/11, to reveal the deep well of goodness and generosity of our people that emerges at such times....

Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
oh wow, guys. i just heard there will be one HUGE 121212 sandy relief concert tonight at 7:30 eastern time. the biggest EVER gathering of star talent and bands, including: bruce springsteen and the e street band, the stones, paul mcartney, kanye west, and many, many others. bittersweet how it takes a tragedy such as hurricane sandy, of 9/11, to reveal the deep well of goodness and generosity of our people that emerges at such times....
Unfortunately, a study found that folks in the Northeast are the stingest when it come to donations. I would like to think I am not one of them. I do try to do my part. Even if it is just a dollar in the Salvation Army bucket.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
oh wow, guys. i just heard there will be one HUGE 121212 sandy relief concert tonight at 7:30 eastern time on t.v.--the biggest EVER gathering of star talent and bands, including: bruce springsteen and the e street band, the stones, paul mcartney, kanye west, and many, many others. bittersweet how it takes a tragedy such as hurricane sandy, or 9/11, to reveal the deep well of goodness and generosity of our people that emerges at such times....
Yeah, I just flipped through the channels and the concert is on a BUNCH of them. Movie channels, science/bio type channels... I don't ever recall one event taking over so much TV. It's not on network TV though.
I wonder how they determine that. I don't recall Band Aid and Farm Aid being all over the place
Kind of nifty they chose 12/12/12 for it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #55
Executive Chef

not on network tv? oh Sooo unfair--network is all i have!...and i may be giving that up too, if programming doesn't improve....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #56
Executive Chef

that sucks so much. i'm switching off my tv. going back to my reading. the nook doesn't let me down like my tv or windows 8 do....
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
It might be interesting to see the statistics in 12 years on how many of these marriages last eh?

Snip Wasn't Superman born in Russia?
I hate to break this to you but I don't think Superman is real

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I hate to break this to you but I don't think Superman is real
uhhh...right. Next you'll be trying to tell me there's no Santa Clause
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
uhhh...right. Next you'll be trying to tell me there's no Santa Clause
He's real. He buys my kids cheap Christmas gifts when we're broke
My children believe that Santa only gives gifts to children that don't have any. If only that were true!

Faeries are real too, my favourite one goes by the name Shannon but he doesn't have a wand

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
that sucks so much. i'm switching off my tv. going back to my reading. the nook doesn't let me down like my tv or windows 8 do....

...just my luck, my nook's dead battery sent me back to my pc, i found a live stream of the 121212 concert around 11:00p.m. by mediaite.--just in time, too, to catch kanye's set. he's wearing this black skirt with flaps like what you see going through a car wash. kanye puts on one helluva show. i like his bombastic style and the 'correographed' look of his street moves tonight.

the concert goes on until well after 1:00 a.m. running 1 1/2 hours over. i was surprised to see michael stipes, formerly of r.e.m. he came out of retirement to do this gig. he sounds good--losing his religion, singing all by himself like all of r.e.m. kinda nice to hear some of billy joel's songs again, after such a long time. paul mccartney finished off the concert, with a long set. he still manages some lively renditions of beatles favorites. for live and let die, there was a spectacular light show that was eerily reminiscent of the burning of a new york neighborhood during the hurricane. it also made me think of james taylor's stark and dark 'fire and rain', a song from the 70s with a similar theme.

i'm so glad that i got to see a portion of this live concert, although i missed some of the best parts. what totally mystifies me is how few cable networks were showing this concert. and even though an estimated 2 billion people around the world were said to be watching this benefit concert tonight, our network tv stations missed a huge ratings opportunity, an advertising dream, by not airing it. meanwhile, the concert could be seen live and free on the internet. strange....