Tying Bows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Can anyone tell me how to tie a bow on the back of a dress so that it looks nice? Our bank is offering free pictures with the Easter Bunny this weekend and we're taking Sofie in her Easter dress. Problem is, it has a bow on the back (wide cotton) and I can't tie the darned thing! I can only tie it like I would a shoe lace and that sure doesn't look nice on a dress!:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help!

Thats how I would do it but I think if you strech the fabric in the center out over the knot it hides things....its been so long, now I will have to try to do this

I do it:
first tie the left piece over the right, with the right side now pointing down, left pointing up.
Then, to make the bow, loop the right and pinch. Then take the left and go behind the right, (going right) then come back around in the front, going left.
After it crosses the loop, make it's loop go through the opening and pull. This will put your original pinched right loop go on the left and your original left string go on the right.

Sounds confusing, but it's not, and it will make a perfect bow.

(I should have had daughters!)

Tying a bow can't be that difficult. First tie it then bring the other 2 sides together and then spead it out so it is nice and full.

I hope that helps.

Between bows for my little girls and the flower shop, I must have tied thousands of bows, of all kinds.
It doesn't matter right or left, but once you tie your first knot, make sure that the ribbon on the bottom is the one you make your first loop with. Then make sure to wrap the other ribbon over the TOP of the loop, and then pull through.
Before you completely tighten the knot, adjust the loops to desired size, then tighten. Straighten out and fluff the loops, then adjust the knot and tails so they look neat.
Don't overwork it, or it will get all wrinkled. It doesn't have to be perfect...just fluffy.

Last edited:
Ah, pictures! Thanks, Cora! That should help. The more instructions I read, the more I felt like I didn't even know how to tie my shoes!:wacko: :ROFLMAO:

If that doesn't work, I'll be asking jkath to drop by Saturday morning!;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom