"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #41
Senior Cook

[quote=Andy M.]licia:

Rating a restaurant is an individual exercise. Some will like a restaurant and others will dislike it. ...etc...

Yes, rating are individual and personal, but... when the first 30 or so posts all agree that Applebee's is not on top of their lists... then you must concede at least a strong trend is in play.

I hope Applebees notices this trend and fixes it

On the other hand... if their main objective is to make money- they probably won't. Ironically you can make money and serve great food at the same time. But I am not sure you can serve great food when it comes to the kitchen in frozen plastic packages...

Old 09-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz

Yes, rating are individual and personal, but... when the first 30 or so posts all agree that Applebee's is not on top of their lists... then you must concede at least a strong trend is in play.

I hope Applebees notices this trend and fixes it
I do not think that Applebees is reading this board so I really do not think they will notice that the first 30 posts here said anything at all. What I do think they will notice is that their restaurants are usually full of customers who love to go there.

I am not among the Applebees fans. I really can't stand the place. BUT there are plenty of people who love it and that is who Applebees is catering to.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #43
Master Chef

I think you're probably right about that, Tom. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right. The place is packed all the time. We are right off the interstate, which helps, but the locals are pouring in also.
The only chains we had before were burger and pizza joints, and a combination Taco Bell/Kentucky Fried chicken, so it's nice to have a place where you can sit down and have a beer and a nice lunch.

You all mentioned Hooter's...we ate there once, at the restaurant in Union Station in St. Louis, and the food was gawdawful. I did get a T-shirt, though, which looked pretty cute on me at the time.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #44
Executive Chef

The question that occurred to me, first and foremost is, why not open his own restaurant? Forgive my ignorance, if he already has his own restaurant(s) - but knocking a restaurant or a career decision/move, is not for everyone to decide what is in one's own best interests. I would wait and see what is brought to the table w/o criticism. I wish him success.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I do not think that Applebees is reading this board so I really do not think they will notice that the first 30 posts here said anything at all. What I do think they will notice is that their restaurants are usually full of customers who love to go there.

I am not among the Applebees fans. I really can't stand the place. BUT there are plenty of people who love it and that is who Applebees is catering to.
What I said was I hope they noticed the trend ... of 30 out of "X" people not liking their product... not that they read the board. But- hey, we all have computers right- no reason they can't see these results... but I digress.

Now why do you suppose they spent the money to hire Tyler, make the commercials and etc unless they have excess capacity? Or want to increase sales, or attempt to convince (sell us) on the idea thet they are a good place to eat?

I hope they end up with a better product. I hope Tyler Florence helps. I hope I never have to eat there again, until they do make improvements...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #46
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
What I said was I hope they noticed the trend ... of 30 out of "X" people not liking their product... not that they read the board.
LOL I think you are missing my point. I was not really thinking that you wanted them to read the board.

The trend you are pointing out is that 30 poeple on this board had bad things to say about Applebees. That is not indicitive of the population in general. Applebees does very well. They have a very large customer base who would disagree with the 30 people here who have said they do not like it.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Remind me again please. Why is it OK to express opinions which bash Appleby's or restaurants in this forum but it is not OK appropriate to express opinions about FoodTV shows?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #48
Chief Eating Officer

There is a difference between expressing an opinion (for example, I do not like Applebees) and bashing a FoodTV personality (for example, Rachel Ray is a no talent hack).

It is perfectly fine to express opinions about FoodTV.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #49
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
my op wasn't a bash by any standards, just my opinion. We all have opinions and can share them freely. It is a forum(public space), if it is disagreable, take it with a grain of salt. If someones opinion is a bash, it is still an opinion.

My whole notion was wtf. Tyler is an adult and can make his own decisions, I just though it a very unlikely duo. Once again, jusy my opinion.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
AND THIS IS MY POINT TOO! they have the reputation of being, ummm....well, garbage. Why would a chef sign on to that!
This is an opinion? Calling a restaurant's fare "garbage" is not an opinion it's bashing.

I agree that opinions are free however posts like this are just assassination. This is nothing empirical or constructive about it.