Tyler Florence and Applebees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
Has anyone seen these commercials?! He has joined teams with (cr)Applebees to create a line of "chef inspired" cuisine. I think I might now, I might have seen it all...except someone nailing jello to a tree.

Let's see ... Applebees' is attempting to improve the quality of food they serve ... and you have a problem with that?

Truth to tell, I've never been to an Appleby's. I had read somewhere that they were the most consistently bad chain of their kind :sick: so I have avoided them.

A new Appleby's opened in town recently, maybe I should give it a try. I hope the Tyler Florence items are clearly marked.:LOL:

No, no problem at all...just seems like an odd match up. seems like alot of TV personalities in the food industry are pairing up with unlikely partners...just an observation.

They are not so bad Andy.
It's not GREAT food but..it's not bad either.
They do have a really good veggie pizza or at least they did
a few years ago.

Andy M. said:
Truth to tell, I've never been to an Appleby's. I had read somewhere that they were the most consistently bad chain of their kind :sick: so I have avoided them.

AND THIS IS MY POINT TOO! they have the reputation of being, ummm....well, garbage. Why would a chef sign on to that!

TF is getting recognition. That makes demand for his cookbooks and other products greater. That drives the price up and his next cookbook flies off the shelf. People run out and buy his stuff. I think he has a restaurant - more customers.

If Appleby's improves their image, Tyler gets the credit. His value increases again. Other food companies seek him out for endorsements...

I'd say it's worth it.

Tyler's pairing with Applebee's isn't so unusual. A lot of people forget or just don't know that Jacques Pepin was the executive chef of - Howard Johnson's!!!!!

I was shocked when I saw this commercial too TATTRAT. I can see the point Michael and Marm are making, but for me I think it is a poor move on his part.

I think Applebees is absolute trash. I like TF. I feel that he is going to bring himself down to their level instead of bring them up to his. I hope I am wrong though.

Applebee's is good 11:30 pm, nothing else open except Waffle House and Krystal, gotta-have-food-now-because-I-just-left-the-concert-and-am-starving food. Their steaks and mashed potatos aren't bad for stick-to-your-ribs comfort food, and the bartender at my local store makes a *killer* dirty, dry vodka martini. 2 of them and I'm *wiped.*

It's decent chain food, but then again, most chains have decent food. It's just not *excellent* food.

OK, Florence has made a business deal... hopefully to make them better.
Unfortunately- they may make him worse...

Contrary to several other comments, my personal experiences at Applebees have all been bad. Not just dissapointing, but bad.

Tyler could have done better.

I have founded, owned, and operated a good restaurant. I have consulted to a food chain. I can tell you if a food service operation wanted to make and serve good food they could. If their first consideration is to make money, then the other considerations are secondary.

I don't have anything against Applebys except they serve cheap food to a mass market, and they dont do a very good job of it. I have never met, in-person, anyone who said they liked Applebys.

So there....

I am in the group of always having "bad" food there. Therefore. I hadn't been in years. My hubby and I were out of town (highway food) and decided to stop there instead of a fast food chain - it was bad. Tyler has a job in front of him that's for sure. It's going to have to take a lot of people saying a lot of good things before I'll go back.

TATTRAT said:
AND THIS IS MY POINT TOO! they have the reputation of being, ummm....well, garbage. Why would a chef sign on to that!

This is not the first questionable enterprise that he has endorsed ...

I went to Applebees for the first time ever in Battery Park City (not that NYC doesn't have a million cool restaurants). We enjoyed Happy Hour and a $3 app. The beer was nice. Can't say the same for the food. Knarly.

An Applebee's opened right by where I work in an upscale mall. Don't think I'll go.

But put my vote in for Olive Garden being the bottom of the culinary barrel in terms of chain restaurants that I've visited. Hopefully they aren't dangling cash in front of Giada or Mary Ann E. Doubt they'd take it.

Last edited:
Is Tyler really going to have a say in how the food is made or is he just attaching his name to the chain?

You won't catch me in an Applebees anytime soon if I have any say in the matter.

a "chef inspired menu" is a load of you know what.

who was cooking before, a bunch of monkeys?

i agree it's the worst of the "junk screwed to the wall" type franchise restaurants. i've tried it a coupla times; won't be going again, no matter who is their new pitchman.

btw, since when did selling out become acceptable, even admired?

i'm getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom