U.S. Place Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, here's a puzzle for you. Name a place in the 'states. City, county, river, lake, state. What is the origins of the name? I was joking in the tourtiere line about it. Illinois; "of the Illini" (tribe of Native Americans) in French. Combination of native American and French. Anybody have a question or just a knowledge of an area or just want to quiz us? Give it a try.

Addendum: Info only...Laramie, WY was named for Fort Laramie...French trader, Jacques LaRamie, owned/ran the trading post before the US troops arrived and created the fort.

Sault Saint Marie, Michigan...how did it get it's name? Called the Soo by Michiganders. I don't know the answer to this one.

OK, there should be a bunch of you from both these places. There are two Red Rivers in the U.S., that I know of. One is in Texas, the other separates ND from Minnesota. The latter is one of the few rivers in the world that flows north (hey, I told you I had military background. Try being stationed in North Dakota the next time you complain about weather).

The thing I don't know is why are they called Red Rivers? To my view, they didn't seem much redder than any other river around. Pretty brown to me. Was there maybe a mineral that was mined in the area that colored the waters at one time?

Hey, I checked the wikipedia sites and still can't find out what Sault means. I mean, we all know who Saint Mary is. Saule is a weeping willow, Saut is to jump. I've got to keep digging!

Can you tell my husband is sick and I'm bored? Haha! Seriously, as I said, word and name origins have always interested me. I write a little local interest column for a paper, and someone once told me I can think of more ways to say things like "go to ----" than most!

There are no specific origins for Missoula, lots of history but only riddles on the name itself.

Sault Sainte-Marie translates from French as "the Rapids of Saint Mary". I got this from the Wikepedia website entry.

I got this from the free dictionary site: Obsolete French, from Old French, leap, waterfall; see somersault.]

Last edited:
Joes, I am so impressed. I must have missed it on Wiki, and my larousse wasn't helping, but it makes sense now!

OK, here's one. Des Moines. The nearest I've come up with is "of the monks"? Anyone know something about it?

From Wiki:

Origin of name
Des Moines takes its name from Fort Des Moines (1843–1846), which was named for the Des Moines River. The French "des Moines" (pronounced [demwan] (
13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png
listen)) translates literally to either "monks" or "of the monks".

The historian Virgil Vogel documented changes in the name of the Des Moines River over time, and determined that "Des Moines" ultimately derived from "Moingona", the name for a group of Illinois who lived along the Des Moines River, and that the name was gradually changed by French traders and mapmakers to "Des Moines", probably because it was easier to transcribe. Vogel felt "Moingona" was derived from the Algonquan clan name "Loon".[9]
Other historians and linguistic researchers concluded that Moingona meant "people by the portage" or something similar, a reference to the Des Moines Rapids, where the earliest meetings between the Moingona and European explorers took place.[10]
One popular interpretation of "Des Moines" ignores Vogel's research, and concludes that "Des Moines" refers to French Trappist monks, who lived in huts on top of what is now known as Monks Mound near St. Louis some 200 miles (320 km) from the Des Moines River.[11]
A controversial recent hypothesis using a study of Miami-Illinois tribal names concludes the word Moingona comes from mooyiinkweena, a derogatory name which translates roughly to "the excrement-faces." The name was apparently given to Marquette and Joliet by a tribal leader to dissuade them from doing business with a neighboring tribe.[12] But the deviser of this hypothesis admits it is improbable ("strange" as he puts it). This alternative etymology is rejected by the amateur historian Jim Fay, who feels the interpretation of Moingona as "excrement face" is refuted by a large body of first-hand accounts and detailed ethnolinguistic research.[10]

This one I have to tell my husband, he'll love it. Yes, I could wiki anything, but it's more fun this way!

This one I have to tell my husband, he'll love it. Yes, I could wiki anything, but it's more fun this way!

I usually Wiki anything I want to know about, then I go from there if I need to research further. I have 4 foriegn language dictionaries in the house (don't ask me where they are) I have a French to English, Spanish to English/English to Spanish, an English to Esperanto and an English to Tagalog. My severly antiquated Encyclopedias were given to my nephews when I got my first internet connection:)

If it's not in my head I have to research!

Esperanto? ESPERANTO?!! You have to be kidding me! And you have some of it in your head? Once, out of the blue, I cannot remember when, if it was in the military (I think it might have been when I was in basic), I was tested in this, and passed with flying colors. Hun? Isn't this a make-believe language? But I, too, used to have a lot of dictionaries. Nowadays it's so unecessary since you can do it all on line, but I won't give up my trusty Larousse. I bought my Mom one years ago, but she's still inclined to call me (heck, it's really just an excuse to talk) if there's something in French she wants to know. Stupid because French is my father's first language, but sometimes she wants me to explain it. I have a friend whose daughter lives in France, and she'll ask me. So the Larousse is easier and faster than going on-line. But when it comes to regional stuff, forget it. If you don't live there, you won't get it. When we were on the road, we ran into Quebecoise trying to speak to Cajuns in Louisiana. In fact, I think both factions were just being stubborn!

Ok, it is not a place but we have a lot of it here in Minnesota. Ok it is not "it" it is they, the Geese, Canada Geese that is. A lot of times you heare people calling them Canadian (mind out friends from Canada here) geese, well, they are not. They are named after a person who's last name was CAnada.

LOL! I got an interest in Esperanto, simply because it was used in Science-Fiction stories. I can parse some of it, since it is closely related to Spanish and I talian, I never did learn much beyond what I was reading in the books.

I forgot, I have Na'vi (from Avatar) dictionaries on my computer. My Dad is the culprit for love of languages. He speaks Korean, Mandarin, another Chinese dialect, Japanese and he is currently learning Na'vi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom