"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Ever since the Roswell UFO incident in July of 1947, when an alleged spacecraft crashed near Roswell, New Mexico, there has been wide speculation on the existence of alien beings from other planets.

From that event have come many movies, books, TV programs, and all sorts of cults and other phenonena.

My question today is this.

Do you believe there are alien species in the universe - intelligent or otherwise?

Do you believe we are being or have been visited?

Have you even seen a UFO?
Have you, Mrs?

I'm still waiting to meet some intelligent life already here...
Present company excluded of course

I believe in others. At least that they were here in the past. I watch enough of "those shows" to believe there is no way some of that stuff could have been created way back when without outside help. Too many unexplained things or cultures advanced well beyond what they should have been, or beyond the other cultures around them at the time.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have little doubt that there are other lifeforms in the universe. Some intelligent, some not so much. I have seen plenty of stuff flying that I couldn't identify, so yes I have seen UFOs. Have I seen flying saucers and little green (or other colored) people? No.
As for the sightings, I wonder....Given all the ridiculous stuff that has been broadcast on radio and TV over the decades....I wonder what any intelligent life out there thinks of us.
Maybe we are a tourist attraction for other space-faring life forms.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you believe in a God, I doubt that we would be the only creation in all the universe.
Even if one doesn't believe in a God, amino acids, the building blocks of life are based on a handful of elements that exist everywhere: carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, and nitrogen. I find it hard to believe that Earth is the only planet out of trillions and trillions where conditions are ideal for these elements to sprout life.

NASA has even found amino acids in meteorites.
NASA - Building Blocks of Life Created in "Impossible" Place

And amino acids are the only building blocks that we're aware of. Maybe there are other combinations of elements out there that can do the same thing. We just haven't run across them yet.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised to find that the universe is actually teeming with life. I don't think it's that far fetched. The problem is that we can't see far enough outside of our own solar system to know what's beyond its boundaries.

Remember that for hundreds of years native Americans thought they were all alone in the world until one day ships full of strange looking Europeans showed up on their shores. Let's hope that in our first alien encounter, the outsiders treat us a little better.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Have you, Mrs?

I believe in others. At least that they were here in the past. I watch enough of "those shows" to believe there is no way some of that stuff could have been created way back when without outside help. Too many unexplained things or cultures advanced well beyond what they should have been, or beyond the other cultures around them at the time.
I remember the book "Chariots of the Gods", and the rebuttal book, "Crash Go the Chariots" from my HS days. The former made a good case for previous cultures being instructed by otherworldly folks in stuff way beyond the then-current knowlege.

I agree, we're pretty elitist to think we're the only beings in the universe.

I've never seen a UFO, though the Aurora Borealis is an awesome sight!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Have you, Mrs?

I believe I have actually - more than once. The first time was in Portland, Oregon and some would say that's the reason LOL

The 2nd and 3rd times was when we were living on the coast.

I do believe there is other life but in what form remains to be seen.

There is an awful lot of stuff that has happened over the years that point to perhaps e.t. help and a lot of unexplained things that also point in that direction.

Too bad there is not a way to go back in time and see what really happened and we acquired the technology we did in such a short span of time.

I've never seen an E.T. alien nor have I seen a UFO up close and I'm not so sure I actually want to.

But I know what I saw when I saw it all 3 times and nobody will convince me that it was a weather balloon or helicopter or plane or bird.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I believe. And when they show up, I'm not turning them down if they offer a ride.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I believe. And when they show up, I'm not turning them down if they offer a ride.
Oh dear, "To Serve Man." Make sure you check their license plates.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh dear, "To Serve Man.". Make sure you check their license plates.
Those all say Idaho...or...dare I say it...British Columbia.

"To Serve Man"...a favorite episode of The Twilight Zone.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I do tend to think there are other life forms out there
Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

the next time they use a tractor beam (ok, 2, i'm a fatass) to bring me into tneir ship, i won't drop my pants since they said, in horror, that there was nothing left to learn from anal probes.

i think i was insulted.

pac, it's a shame that you don't believe in earthlings. your theory in itself is corrupt.
if someone else from another planet can figure this stuff out, why can't we? we're not good enough to figure out how things work? how to use earth elements to blow things up, then channel thise explosions. that's all sort of rudimentary.

for my opionion, we haven't begun to explore a fraction of a fraction of planets with a nickel iron core (for a magnetic shield to solar"winds" that spins and orbits a certain distance from an equally certain powerful star in order to allow for a similar life form as ours to exist, along with the injection of water and specifically energy based animated organc carbon compunds.

yeah, while the specific equation of the tremendous number of very exclusive set of parameters excludes an inordinate number of galaxies that we theorize exist, the math is in the favour if "there might be at least one".

lol, and while the former is math, the last bit is conjecture based on hope until our science progresses more.

we won't kmow for many generations.

unless pac is right, and they tip us off on how to find them.

hmm, why haven't they done it yet?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote