"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Executive Chef
UFO's - Do You Believe?

Ever since the Roswell UFO incident in July of 1947, when an alleged spacecraft crashed near Roswell, New Mexico, there has been wide speculation on the existence of alien beings from other planets.

From that event have come many movies, books, TV programs, and all sorts of cults and other phenonena.

My question today is this.

Do you believe there are alien species in the universe - intelligent or otherwise?

Do you believe we are being or have been visited?

Have you even seen a UFO?

MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
I believe there is other intelligent life in the universe. Most likely more than one other. No doubt there are not so intelligent life forms as well.

It's not unreasonable to assume we have been visited but I'm very skeptical about all the sightings recorded to date.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen a UFO.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Master Chef
I am not sure if I believe or not.

It seems logical to me that if we exist then others may exist.

We may have been visited in the past and they felt we were not worth bothering with.

I have seen a couple of things I could not identify so yes I guess I have seen a UFO.

I enjoy the television programs with people like Leonard Nimoy where they explore ancient sites around the globe and put forth theories of what might have been.

This is one of those topics where we may be much better off not knowing!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Wine Guy
I think it would be awful arrogant of us to assume we are the only life in the universe.

Having said that, I've never seen a UFO that I'm aware of.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Master Chef
Is there life elsewhere in the universe? Hard to say. Science has shown us just how specific the conditions had to be here on Earth for life to emerge (or be created depending on your ideology). Will those exact conditions happen across the vastness of space? What are the odds? Yet there may be other planets inhabited by entities so different from us as to be unrecognizable to us as life. I've never seen a UFO. I enjoy the premise of life on other planets in movies and stories but not really sure if I believe it to be true.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I guess I'm arrogant. I do not believe in life on other planets.

As far as UFO's, it means Unidentified Flying Object, so I do believe people have seen things they could not identify flying in the air. I don't believe in spacecraft from other planets or galaxies though.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Master Chef
-For a very long time when I was young I was absolutely positive that we came from outer space, I believed in space travel, I believed in UFO as they are called, I have to admit I have never believed in Big Bang theory. The ideas they were trying to put into our heads back in Soviet Union just did not work for me. I am as opposite from an atheist as it gets, even though government have tried to pound that believe into my head for as long as lived there.
- Having said that, I may have been wrong (not about the atheism), I do not want to say that I do not believe in possibility of life elsewhere, who knows it may be possible, but traveling is hardly improbable, at least according to all the laws of physics that we know today.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Lots of my neighbors come from outer space-- they are all retired.
Don't trust the news media
scotty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I have a very morbid view of it. I am sure there is other life form out there. Maybe not in the form of humanoids but other biological organizms. They won't come in spaceshps but probably stuck to or inside meteorites. They probably come all the time but may not be able to survive in our atmosphere so they die off. They may come and consume a particualr organism here on earth like certain plants, mammals, etc. They could be here now. Or, in the worst case scenerio, they will come here and herd us all up like chickens and eat us....However it happens, it probably won't be good.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I think it would be awful arrogant of us to assume we are the only life in the universe.

Having said that, I've never seen a UFO that I'm aware of.
So true Steve. If you believe in a God, I doubt that we would be the only creation in all the universe. Have never seen a UFO, nor have any desire to do so.

I think some folks believe in them, but are afraid of being thought a nut case or kook if they admit to it.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote