"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #41
Executive Chef

TimTams are very similar to the UK product known as a Penguin biscuit. this site has a photograph of the types available.
http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aus...cuits/tim_tams

Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Ok luvs, I could have sworn I managed to get some kind of banana that was more for cooking than for eating raw. I guess I was mistaken. That was 8 years ago.
we were just on a different page. 2 different kinds of bananas.
now i'm curious!

Old 07-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #43
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Gentlemans relish (anchovy paste) and mushroom ketchup (which is more of a watery syrup consistency) would be the weirdest things I buy.

YOU CAN'T GET PROMITE IN THE UK!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to shout, but it is one of the biggest problems in my life!!!! (wouldn't you love to have my life where not being able to get a toast spread is the biggest problem in it!!!) Vegemite and marmite yes, but promite is really yummy, have a slightly sweeter tangier taste and I don't feel it's quite as salty. You can get the simplest tim tams here, not the fancier ones I saw when I was last in Oz, but as I am watching what I eat, I very rarely buy them.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:01 AM   #44
Head Chef

We now even have Tia Maria Tim Tams and these weird ones with chilli!! At Christmas thye sometimes bring out white ones which are my favourite.
Promite is the best "mite" I say, how sad you can't get it in the UK. Where do you come from in Australia Kyles?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #45
Head Chef

I was born in Hobart Tasmania and lived for 10 years in Launceston.

Penguins are horrible they are not the same!!! I love the Tia Maria ones, and the Kahlua biscuits that look like a mint slice!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #46
Head Chef

Tassie is beautiful, it must have been hard to leave. Are you proud one of you is now European Royalty???
Old 07-08-2005, 04:51 AM   #47
Head Chef

I really do miss it, but the part of England I live in is green, gorgeous and very friendly, so that makes it a bit easier.

You know I went to school with Princess Mary!!!! She was in my year and everything!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I really do miss it, but the part of England I live in is green, gorgeous and very friendly, so that makes it a bit easier.

You know I went to school with Princess Mary!!!! She was in my year and everything!!!
Were you invited to the wedding??? Have you got any good goss we can sell to the tabloids and make our fortunes????
Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #49
Sous Chef

Can't do without...

Peck's Anchovette fish paste, Marmite (when I can find it) and Bovril for spreading on sandwiches, Mrs. Ball's (peach) chutney (the best), Kenyan black tea (King's grocery store has it, sold under St. Michael's (Marks & Spencer? label))- great breakfast tea - full body, lovely colour). Knorr's Rich Oxtail soup powder. Bisto for gravy, if I can find it (but I'm getting over needing this - a friend from New Zealand taught me a just-as-good if not better way of making gravy). -Sandyj
Old 07-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I think I get the strangest look I get is when I ask the butcher for 5 or 10 pounds of beef fat. I use it to make soap out of, when I am really bored. It is a carry over from my childhood but I still get a certain amount of enjoyment form making it.

I rarely explain myself when I buy it and the butcher and the store patrons all give me a very strange look.

Bryan