"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #51
Master Chef
Originally Posted by bknox
I think I get the strangest look I get is when I ask the butcher for 5 or 10 pounds of beef fat. I use it to make soap out of, when I am really bored. It is a carry over from my childhood but I still get a certain amount of enjoyment form making it.

I rarely explain myself when I buy it and the butcher and the store patrons all give me a very strange look.

awesome! soapmaking would make a good hobby.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #52
Senior Cook
Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
My Mom still makes soap in Kentucky and hers is far superior to what I make. Her address is http://www.autumnmanorsoapco.com. She sells soap through stores around central Kentucky.

Her soaps are all made from olive oil, not animal fat. My favorite is the shaving soap, although I do not shave with it. Check'em out and if you contact her, tell her I sent you.

Bryan Knox
What if the the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #53
Executive Chef
I was going to say lychee nuts (fresh), but I see many have already mentioned them. I love those! So sweet and juicy. They are only available here once a year, and they are very expensive, so I just buy a few. Well worth it though! I didnt know they came in a can.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #54
Master Chef
The beef fat brings back family memories. At the time we weren't considered a large family (there are four of us girls, now it would be considered large, but then it wasn't) and Mom got a good deal on half cows. The first time she just took it as is, but the second time she asked where the rest of the cow was, the fat and the soup bones, and they gave her all of it. So she rendered the fat to make cooking lard. It smelled absolutely horrid when she was rendering it. BUT ... it was delicious, especially in deep-frying, something Mom seldom did before or after (or now, for that matter). But the french fries, potato chips, and onion rings she made in that fat were the best I've ever had. Anyone else ever use beef fat for cooking? Ironically, my husband remembers HIS mom rendering beef fat and the gosh-awful smell of the process.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:54 AM   #55
Master Chef
Odd foods -- I look for ethnic grocery stores. Around here, in Galena we have a Mexican grocer (very small) and in Dubuque a Vietnamese couple run a grocery that is pan-Asian AND Mexican. But I live for trips to Madison, where there is everything. Next time we go, I'll look up and find out if there's a middle eastern grocer. My mom loves to come shopping with me, even on her own turf, because I can sniff out these places. It amazes me sometimes that I know a lot of women who are afraid to go into these places. They don't speak the language (like I do ... haha) or are afraid of buying something they don't like. There are just two of us, so I don't go a lot, but enough that owners know us. In this case the Vietnamese man will sometimes ask what I'm making with what I'm buying. I usually just have a general idea. I'm buying just to see what it tastes like. But if I have an idea of what I'm doing, he'll guide me to a better product for that purpose, or an additional one (no dummy him) that'll make it better. Anyway these will be chili pastes, sauces, different kinds of noodles (rice and bean paste noodles are cheaper than in the grocery store, and soba and other noodles simply aren't available at our local grocery), spices, especially curry blends, canned or frozen veggies that are unavailable elswhere (yes, I can buy canned lychees there). Meanwhile his wife is cooking up Thai and Vietnamese foods in the little restaurant attached, and we can't miss that. Most Asian grocers I've found are Korean or Vietnamese, sometimes Thai, and my husband was stationed all three places BC, and can say hello and goodbye, which does really help, but no one should be afraid to try, it's really fun.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #56
Hospitality Queen
Bryan - soapmaking! Fabulous!
I say keep 'em guessing on what you need the fat for. I'm surprised Buckytom hasn't come into this conversation - he'd have fun with that one.

Claire - you'd love shopping here in Southern California! We've got so many ethnic markets! And, in my tiny city we even have a middle eastern market and a bakery.
There's also many others in our town, and within 20 miles: chinese (tons), japanese, korean, vietnamese, thai, armenian (tons), and probably dozens of other ones I've forgotten... but the most common ethnic markets are mexican, which I adore.
...if only there were polish places around here!!!

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote