"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Unusual events.

Two unusual events happened to me this week. I got to watch the "blood moon" eclipse on Monday night. Very cool. And then my MIL goes and does something really nice.

Apparently she was culling her bookshelf and came across a cookbook given to her by a friend from way back in her school days. The friend's mother had gathered her families recipes and had them bound and gave them out to friends and family many, many years ago. MIL does not cook, I MEAN NEVER! So she asked me if I would like this cookbook. She'd only kept it because it was from her dear friend.

I'm really looking forward to receiving this book. I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sweet. Double Sweet!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Master Chef

I watched the blood moon eclipse too, mmyap. Wasn't it fascinating?! There wasn't a cloud in the sky so it was a perfect view. Saw Mars and Saturn (I think it was Saturn), too.

What a nice gift from your MIL. I love those old cookbooks - my uncle gave me several of my grandmother's when she passed away, and I treasure them. I love reading her 'notes' she wrote in them. The other day I was looking through one and found some very old coupons that she used as bookmarks.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post

I'm really looking forward to receiving this book. I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.

I would love that cookbook, too. I have one that was compiled by the wife of a prominent sports figure from the area. It also had pictures and stories about their family growing up.

I also have a cookbook compiled by an internet friend. A bunch of us who posted together sent our recipes, pictures, stories to one woman who had them put together in a cookbook and it was presented to one of the posters at her 80th birthday party. All who participated received a copy of the cookbook. Some even traveled to attend the birthday bash, but it was too far for me to travel, so I received my copy in the mail. It's really special to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I love vintage recipes and since it's a "family collection" I think it will be really special.
What a nice surprise for you. A memoir plus some good ideas.

I've saved a few recipes from my relatives ( mostly Mom) that are handwritten which give a double-whammy of nice-ness to it. Old scraps of paper that have turned yellow. I should really put them in an archival/acid-free type of packet made of glassine or ??.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks for the sharing, and bringing up the subject mmyap. I also saw the blood moon, and it was spectacular.
What a nice thing for your MIL to do in giving you the book. Only people like those of us here would appreciate it.
Like you Cave, I have many hand written recipes of my mother's and I feel so close to her looking at them. It's occurred to me that sadly our mother's generation may be the last of hand written recipes. It's a sign of the times that few of us put a pen to paper anymore. I hand wrote a note inside a birthday card to a friend the other day and could barely remember how to write a paragraph without the ease of spell checker, or being able to back space and edit a thought.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's a sign of the times that few of us put a pen to paper anymore. I hand wrote a note inside a birthday card to a friend the other day and could barely remember how to write a paragraph without the ease of spell checker, or being able to back space and edit a thought.
I understand completely! Will museums display the first poem written by a newly famous poet---- written using Word.doc? Sigh.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Unusual events.

A few years ago, I purchased a binder style recipe book with divided plastic sleeves like a photo album has. It came with blank recipe cards and dividers. I have been "handwriting" recipes that are special to me and/or family members and compiling this book to hand down to my daughter/granddaughters. It might not mean much right now, but maybe later when I am gone..... I know how happy I was to to come across a couple of recipe cards in my grandmother's hand, that had been left behind in a drawer after my aunt and uncle had cleaned out her home.
As for ""unusual events" I didn't get to see the "blood moon". Too many clouds here :(
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

I forgot to mention before that I have a most interesting website in my favorites. Those of you interested in vintage recipes will have as much fun browsing there as I do. This gal has done a really remarkable job!

Vintage Recipes | RecipeCurio.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thank you, Kayelle! I browsed through your link and put it in my favorites. I'll have a lot of fun there - wow, actual cursive handwriting and all. Just how my mother and grandmother's original recipes look like.