"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Up and Running!!!

After 4 weeks of Internet withdrawls, we have a working PC again. Thanks to a friend giving me a monitor and a keyboard, I was able to get my desktop fired up and connected. It will probably be a week or so before I can get my laptop up and running. The OS is corrupted, and the rescue/recovery CD-ROM that I got with the laptop just moves the corrupted OS to another partition, then formats the rest of the HDD. I'll have to order a new CD-ROM with the actual OS on it, so I can completely wipe the HDD and re-install XP.

This means that I did loose some data. The last backup CD that I am sure I burned was dated March, 2006. I seem to think that I burned a backup shortly before I moved from MI, but I didn't label that one, and will have to look high and low for it.

The lost data will be pictures taken after March, some of my historical research data, and sadly, some of my recipes. The last time I did a file count on my laptop's HDD, I had somewhere around 3,546 recipes. I can't remember how many recipes I backed up in March, but I'm sure it was under 3,500. If I can find the disc I burned in October, then I'll have somewhere over that figure, but will still have lost a couple hundred.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Master Chef
Glad to see you back. I just got my DSL up and running. I was off-line for two weeks until 2 days ago. I could only get on at lunch on my work computer. I need to upgrade my OS from Win-98SE to something better so I can make use of my new DVD burner. Oh the pains of computing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Master Chef
Thumbs up

The same thing happened to me last fall. Luckily, I had backed up my recipes and photos in August. I lost a few things. Good luck and I am glad to see you back online.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Master Chef
It's good to see you back, Allen! I'd started wondering where you'd gotten to this time!
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Reading all of your tales of woe with your computers, I now understand better why my security fanatic DH has blocked most of the "fun" things in our PC that others enjoy but at a price, as you all imply.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Head Chef
Glad to see you back. I know exactly what you went through. I have been on the telephone with Hewlett Packard for days and finally my computer is back and up to speed.

I finally gave in and got High Speed Internet and what a change.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote