Upset and Sad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you guys! The cat is appropriately named "Mr. Kitty" :rolleyes:

I had a cat who I called Kitty. His orginal name was Clarence, which I didn't care for, because Kitty was too cute . :) I miss my little guy , he died at home last year of kidney failure. :-((

Thank you, you two!

The vet just called and said she was much improved. She can come home today and we'll block off the stairs and try to keep her confined as much as possible. What I REALLY want to do is get someone to work for me and stay with her today :(

If I lived closer to you, I would have come over to stay with her.

Oh, my gosh, this broke my heart. What a sweet little dog! I also love the name. Friend just had baby that she named Isabella or is it Izabella? She corrected me about the spelling, but a I cannot remember. I do not like to leave my dogs or pups alone, especially when I know they aren't feeling 100%. Even the deaf and blind dog who has more problems makes me feel guilty. One thing I truly can recommend is acupuncture. My regular vet advised me to let him go. I looked on line and someone recommended acupuncture. Cannot believe that he is still around today. I sure hope Isabella starts feeling good again. One thing about those little 'wiener' dogs is they have to watch their backs. Kind of fragile but oh so sweet.

You know kitchenelf when it comes to animals my t houghts and prayers are always asking for the positive. Love is so powerful when it comes to our pets.
Will do whatever it takes to keep them feeling good. Please keep us informed about the progress. Oh, thanks for sharing the pictures. She is one of the best things in life.

:)I'm so glad to hear she is better at least she can be home. I just absolutely lose it when one of my pets get hurt

If I lived closer to you, I would have come over to stay with her.

I think that's about the sweetest thing anyone could ever say to me!!!!! :flowers: x 10 dozen!!!!

And thanks to the rest of you too! I was SOOOOOOOOOOO upset when they said she would have to stay the night. BUT, I also knew they would take very good care of her.

KE - That is the pits. We have had to take Liam to the vets and been told that we saved lis life by an hour. He was in the hosp for 3 days. We have taken both Bear & Liam to the vets when the ripped the door off the pantry and feasted on chocolate and onions.

The house is so empty and so sad without our frineds. They give everything and ask little in return. Hopes and wished for her safe and healthy return. Hope I do this right, I learned it here.

{{{{{{{{{{KitchenElf}}}}}}}}}}

K-Elf:

So sorry for you and your baby.

I have unfortunately been through this twice.

When the little guy pictured above was 12, he blew out a disc in his neck going down the stairs. We only allowed him to go down the 4 stairs on the front porch, otherwise he was carried, but that was enough to do it. NO STAIRS!!

He was totally paralyzed. In that situation you have to do surgery right away (I found out later) but the vet put him on IV and he stayed at the animal hospital for 4 days. He was released, but he was no better. He layed on a little pillow for a week until we had a follow up appointment with a surgeon. He had deep nerve reflexes, still, so she said she could try to operate. An appointment was booked. Well, Schnitzel HATES the veterinarian with a passion. Right after this visit he started to show improvement. He was able to get up on his back legs a little. I brought him into the surgeon again and when he was on her office floor, he hoisted himself up on his rear legs and frantically pushed his way to the door! She said to delay surgery. When I got him home after the appointment, he got up on all 4 legs and walked over to his water bowl for a drink. He looked at me like "Whaaaaaat?"

He made a pretty complete recovery, but I think he was very lucky.

The second time was when he was 14 and he got out of bed wrong.

This time he totally lost his back legs and did have surgery. He has recovered pretty much and can walk but not run.

He's 17 + now and still a character and fully ambulatory, though he does sort of sidewind around.

Our beagle hsa hurt his back much like yours twice too. He recovered fully through complete CAGE REST and antinflammatories.

It is really, really, really important to keep Isabella quiet and confined to a small place where she can't walk much. She sounds like she's getting better on her own, but you need to restrict her or she could undo her healing.

GOOD LUCK!!! We are all pulling for you!

K-Elf:

So sorry for you and your baby.

I have unfortunately been through this twice.

When the little guy pictured above was 12, he blew out a disc in his neck going down the stairs. We only allowed him to go down the 4 stairs on the front porch, otherwise he was carried, but that was enough to do it. NO STAIRS!!

He was totally paralyzed. In that situation you have to do surgery right away (I found out later) but the vet put him on IV and he stayed at the animal hospital for 4 days. He was released, but he was no better. He layed on a little pillow for a week until we had a follow up appointment with a surgeon. He had deep nerve reflexes, still, so she said she could try to operate. An appointment was booked. Well, Schnitzel HATES the veterinarian with a passion. Right after this visit he started to show improvement. He was able to get up on his back legs a little. I brought him into the surgeon again and when he was on her office floor, he hoisted himself up on his rear legs and frantically pushed his way to the door! She said to delay surgery. When I got him home after the appointment, he got up on all 4 legs and walked over to his water bowl for a drink. He looked at me like "Whaaaaaat?"

He made a pretty complete recovery, but I think he was very lucky.

The second time was when he was 14 and he got out of bed wrong.

This time he totally lost his back legs and did have surgery. He has recovered pretty much and can walk but not run.

He's 17 + now and still a character and fully ambulatory, though he does sort of sidewind around.

Our beagle hsa hurt his back much like yours twice too. He recovered fully through complete CAGE REST and antinflammatories.

It is really, really, really important to keep Isabella quiet and confined to a small place where she can't walk much. She sounds like she's getting better on her own, but you need to restrict her or she could undo her healing.

GOOD LUCK!!! We are all pulling for you!

What a miracle! So many dogs would make the same improvement if the owners would only take the time to observe. Everyone tells me not to put up with shots, pills, exercise and acupuncture. This only makes me think less of them as they don't know the feeling i have for the dogs. I would do things over again for my dogs but I wonder about my friends. If they don't have time for their pets would they have time for me? i alway s prefer someone who owns a pet rather than getting different one every other year. Just because they develop some kind of weakness than it is like throwing out pair of shoes or something.

Oh, am I thankful you gave your dogs the time and attention that they offer to your everyday. Their love can never ever be replaced. People should only feel this way about one another. I often said we should try to use our dogs as examples of the way we should be. Good luck and hope they are with you forever. I miss all of the dogs I had to let go. One thing I know for sure I just never gave up. If they could eat and move a little they would still be here.

Awww, poor poor Isabella! Look at her face, what a sweetie! I'm glad she's home with her Mommy and Mr. Kitty. My puppers send lots of puppy kisses and hugs. I'll keep her in my thoughts and hopefully no surgery. Hugs to you too, KE.

oibogg.jpg

OH MY GOSH - those are so cute! Isabella thanks you!!!! She is doing very well...thank you guys for all your good thoughts!!!! She has a pain patch on until Friday, takes another pain med, and some steroids. She was all over me when I picked her up - - - the vet was quite surprised as she had not moved all day. He was warning me that she might be very lethargic, still have trouble walking, and if she seemed like she was in severe pain bring her right back. He handed her to me and she jumped up on my face and wouldn't quit licking - got me a few times I think in the back of my throat and up my nose :LOL:

I am being very good though - I set up her kennel again, placed it in the living room, where she will stay while I am gone. She IS going to recover from this.

Again, thanks everyone!!!!!

Aww those are too cute!! Elf, I'm glad she's feeling good right now!! And of course she is going to recover. The animal docs are doing wonders these days!! She is going to be fine and dandy before you know it!!

oh, poor kitchenelf, and poor isabella!

dachs are just prone to back blow-outs. loooooong skinny back + short little legs + gravity = issues. your vet was right to wait a while (i'm a vet too), some of them DO resolve with in-hospital cage rest & meds. but if they don't, or if you can see the disc blown all the way out on an x-ray, well, time for surgery. just the way that particular flavor of little furkids is made.

my girl Sheba (sheltie, not dachsund, who i sadly lost just 2 weeks ago) blew out a disc over the thanksgiving holiday about 5 years ago, and it was WAY scary. they never do it from something obvious, like jumping from a second story window, nope. hers was just a little foot raised on the couch to get my attention, then a scream of pain. much like when people "slip a disc," plenty of time it happens when they're doing something as easy as reaching for the remote. it's just an accumulation of little injuries over the years, that all of a sudden picks a random moment to not be ok anymore.

Back
Top Bottom