"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #41
DC Grandma

Oh Elf...I fell in love with Isabella before I even met her. She will be alright !!

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 AM   #42
Senior Cook

KITCHEN ELF!! My Lulu had a blown disk and we opted to have surgery at a specialty clinic. We had to crate her for a month post-op while she healed, and had to be very careful about letting her jump up or down on beds, couches, etc, but it can be ok!

Just know there is someone out there who went through it, and we had eight more wonderful years with Lulu... it's the smaller dogs, the ones with the long backs that we have to be so careful of...

Best of luck to you and your fur baby... blessings and healing thoughts to you both!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanks guys!!! Right now we're seeing how she does over these next few days. She goes back on Friday to have the pain patch removed and to check her. Thanks for all the good vibes!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm so sorry to hear Elf. I hope she gets all the treatment necessary to recuperate from it.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #45
Sous Chef

Glad to hear Isabella's in recovery. Sorry I missed this thread on Monday. I've been zooming in and out quickly without doing much exploring this week. So a belated get well wish
Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Keeping all things crossed for your baby, Isabella. I hope she's resting comfortably.
Does she let you know when something's not right, verbally, I mean?
Mine talks, grumbles, whines, whatever he has to do to let me know something is up.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you guys! quicksilver - she is more prone to let other people know when they come to visit. She doesn't always let us know, unfortunately. She gave some pretty good yelps and, of course, we knew something major was up! She's taking it easy and resting a LOT (due to meds I'm sure). We can usually tell in her eyes when she isn't feeling well and she looks, well...sad.

She's not going to like being in her kennel but she's just got to know it's for her own good. My husband is starting to waffle and saying maybe if we just leave her in the kitchen........I told him that is NOT an option and not what's good for her right now. He's the one I have to watch!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
She's not going to like being in her kennel but she's just got to know it's for her own good. My husband is starting to waffle and saying maybe if we just leave her in the kitchen........I told him that is NOT an option and not what's good for her right now. He's the one I have to watch!!!

NO!!! No waffling!

Maybe in a few weeks, but not now.

Especially when a dog is on pain meds. Pain is a natural deterrant to overdoing things. When pain is removed, dogs naturally want to be frisky and they can really hurt themselves.

You are dealing with a spinal cord injury so you need to keep Isabella as quiet and confined as you can. Overdoing it can have disasterous consequences.

B was confined for 6 weeks, first 3 in his crate and then in the kitchen. He's got a little hitch in his gait, but otherwise he's fine now. I am praying for the same for your little baby
Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I refuse to waffle on this Jenny - she whined briefly but now she's fine.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #50
Master Chef

It is hard for me when they are in pain as well. When Ophelia went into pain one day and couldn't get up the stairs, I spent the next couple of nights sleeping on the sofa next to her. A couple days later we were informed they couldn't fix the problem or make her comfortable (she got so bad she even bit at me if I tried to move her), so we had to put her down.
I must have worn the pain pretty plainly on my face coming and going because by the time we left half the staff was in tears as well.