"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #31
Senior Cook

I'm sorry to hear about your pet... I can definately relate to the pain, and I don't wish it on anyone. As for the vet, he's not my usual one, but one at the clinic, it was an emergency so didn't want to wait until the next day as the tumor was actually bleeding. When I called and asked if I could come in they though she had scrapped with one of my other cats and that it was probibly abcess.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 AM   #32
Head Chef

Hello Trip. I had to have one of my cats put down by the vet a few months ago. I too felt somehow to blame for not doing something earlier but the problem was not evident in its early stages. Like you, I too took my cat in when she was far too small to survive on her own after the death of her mother.

Cats taken in like this usually bond very closely to humans, but I also recognise that being without their mother's milk at such a young age - and in the case of my cat, starving for ten days before I came across her (I knew the mother [a stray in the neighbourhood] and found her dead but had no idea where the kittens were) - gives them a bad start in life. I've taken in a few cats like this in my life and they've all had health problems or died young. But they were/are affectionate companions and I don't regret taking any of them in.

The other thing I'd say is that cats are very tolerant of pain. When they start to let you know or it becomes evident that something is wrong, by that stage it's often very serious. You shouldn't blame yourself and neither should the vet. And you can disregard the vet's words: they would know nothing of your cat's circumstances nor your relationship with her.

Trip, you did your cat a tremendous favour by taking her in and I'm sure she enjoyed her life with you.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Funny thing. In humans they say that the earlier you have children and breast feed, the less chance of risk cancer there is. I know this because I have lost some to breast cancer, but also have a survivor in my family. Can't see that it should be so much different with critters.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:43 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
You musn't feel guilty Trip...and as Andy M and others have said, change your vet. What a poor excuse for an animal healer he is.
It is absolutely NOT your fault that this happened to your kitty anymore than if you had discovered a breast lump on yourself even with faithful checking. It happens...
I feel your pain at having lost a precious friend and that pain is as real as if it were a human friend that had passed.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))
Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Hello Trip. I had to have one of my cats put down by the vet a few months ago. I too felt somehow to blame for not doing something earlier but the problem was not evident in its early stages. Like you, I too took my cat in when she was far too small to survive on her own after the death of her mother.

Cats taken in like this usually bond very closely to humans, but I also recognise that being without their mother's milk at such a young age - and in the case of my cat, starving for ten days before I came across her (I knew the mother [a stray in the neighbourhood] and found her dead but had no idea where the kittens were) - gives them a bad start in life. I've taken in a few cats like this in my life and they've all had health problems or died young. But they were/are affectionate companions and I don't regret taking any of them in.

The other thing I'd say is that cats are very tolerant of pain. When they start to let you know or it becomes evident that something is wrong, by that stage it's often very serious. You shouldn't blame yourself and neither should the vet. And you can disregard the vet's words: they would know nothing of your cat's circumstances nor your relationship with her.

Trip, you did your cat a tremendous favour by taking her in and I'm sure she enjoyed her life with you.
Oddly enough except she was very sensitive to changes in her diet, she was probibly what would be considered an extremely healthy cat... That's prob why this has hit soooo hard as I didn't even see it coming.
Last year I had paintings done of all my pets and haven't framed them yet, so am hoping to do that soon. I'm also hoping in the new year to invest in pet health insurance, that way I never have to make this choice again, if they think there is even a minute chance that surgery may help, I'll get it... I've been putting off the insurance as its expensive but not anymore.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #36
Master Chef

I am so sorry for your loss, and very sorry that you have a vet who is that thoughtless. Please change vets. We can't always afford or want to take our pets in for the expensive and time-consuming care the vets think they need (in order for the vet to be wealthy). Don't get me wrong, I love my vet, but she knows the limitations, and when I had to put my JR 16 year old dog down, she'd diagnosed the problem and agreed with our choices right to the day I got my husband to agree to putting her down (a day later than I'd have done it). You cannot second guess these decisions and to me it is best to leave a vet who thinks you should. Having a beloved companion die is difficult enough without going through that.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Trip, as I write I keep wiping my eyes so I can see the keyboard. I am sorry for your loss and Skeeter's too. You can never blame yourself for not knowing or having been too late. Over 2 years ago my beautiful 6yr. old German Shepherd Koko(short for Kokopelli) got a bump on her front leg and the minute we noticed she was at the vet. They told us she had bone cancer. I never heard of shepherds or any other dogs getting bone cancer.
I knew abut parvo and hip displasia etc. but never cancer. The vet said if we did nothing she would be gone in 2 months and I would be very painful and her leg could break at any time cuz it would be so brittle. So we spent over $4000 to have it amputated and give her Chemo and best odds she could live maybe 6 more years. After she first recovered it was like she had never even had 4 legs. She could do Everything as before even frisbee! We we very lucky to have her 3 more months. She had a stroke and couldn't use any of her legs.
Our vet came to my house and said he could do nothing. We held her as he gave her the shot and watched her beautiful brown eyes close. She is with me as we buried her in the back yard next to the German Shepherd Pepper ,who was 15 when the same vet came to the house to put her down.
along with my 2 rabbits and my Iguana. We have pet memorials or special plants for them in the yard. My vet is the most wonderful vet alive! He held her with us and cried like a baby with me and my husband and some dear friends. The vets office sent us a sympathy card and never billed us for any of that awful time. I wish you could know my vet as he would definitely have helped you thru this in the right way. our house was very empty and sad as we had no other pets.(We don't have kids) I could not take the silence and my house almost became dog-hair free. We have 2 beautiful 2yr old German Shepherds today named Cagney and Lacey. Every time I look at our family picture of my husband and I and Koko it hurts still, some days more than others. Time does heal all wounds its just a long road going.

Take care and kiss all your other fur children for me.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Wow!Flute and Trip that was really sad.This site is amazing not only do we have a passion for food but we are all the greatest of animal lovers.We all have had our losses but as long as we do everything we can to make our little creatures happy that is the greatest gift we can give no matter how long they are here.That does not mean it is any easier it never isThats the best we can do even though we want to do more.My 3 dogs and 2 cats are all rescues and spoiled to no end.Yet I can not control when they get really ill.If it's really bad it is better to let them go before they suffer too much and that is a really hard thing to do.I hate loosing a pet and have not forgotten any of them and always say I will not get another one but then I think I have an opening here so when the next one comes across thats it, I will take it in.I dont actively try to replace them but it seems certain ones cross your path and you get a gut feeling so you take them home thinking l will find them a home and yet what better home than yours.So you kinda try to find them a home and yet for me but the more time you spend with them how can you send them off to some place when you are already have already bonded with them?
I dont know what I would do if I had to make a choice of spending alot of money I dont have to save a pet for a few more months.
Sometimes it's a matter of prolonging the enevitable because WE dont want to lose our friends and be so incrediably broken hearted.
Any way the bottom line is give them the best most fun life and all the love they deserve and all the toys and treats they can handle,
Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Awwwwwwwwww Trip!!!! I'm so sorry. I had to put one of my cats to sleep last year - wept like a baby but there really wasn't another choice. It's not your fault at all. Things happen in life and that's just the way it is. Don't let anyone blame you EVER for what happened. It's a very difficult thing when we know our animals are helpless and someone makes it our fault because we didn't just KNOW. Well, we can't just know. We will NEVER just know. It's hard and difficult to come to terms with but you just have to feel good in loving your animal and making it a part of your life. It had a better life with you and that IS all we can do. I lost two cats last year; one my son "found" in the bathroom - we had been gone for a couple of days - talk about feeling guilty but really, how could I have done anything different? How could I have done anything different for the one with a tumor on its lungs. We just can't do anything different. We love them while they are here and we miss them terribly when they are gone.

Hugs to you and

And this is for you and anyone else - you post anything anywhere you want when you are upset around here - the wonderful people here who watch after the site will find the right place for it and everyone will be redirected to that place. ANYPLACE here is a good place to post when you need a few friends to surround you.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 AM   #40
Head Chef

Cancer is not your fault. I have a DF with stage 4 Ovarian cancer and I can tell you pets suffer no less from the treatments (chemo - etc) than humans except they can't understand why they are so miserable and don't understand "it will get better".

As far as spaying early - we had a Dobie spayed before her first heat and she ended up with bladder weakness (she leaked when she slept, poor thing) and had to take birth control pills and the vet said that was caused by early spaying!

The only downside to having these wonderful creatures is how much it hurts when we have to let them go - but you did the right thing. She will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs and sympathy,