Upset Right Now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Trip I just came across this thread, I have been scarce a lot this past week, as I also encountered a health problem with my little hamster. I know it is heartbreaking... my little one is very old, and even though he made a miraculous recovery from a stroke a few days ago, he also has a growth just inside his ears and chances are not much can be done about it. The important thing is that we provide our pets the best possible life, make sure they are happy and safe, and that they know that they are loved. I am sure you have done that with your kitty... even though right now you are inclined to unjustly blame yourself, but when you think about all the happy sweet memories, how she loved you, you will be able to see that.

There comes a time for all your loved ones when they have to leave and to move on to another place... I left a little message about this where her picture is on the gallery, please take a look... I hope and believe it will be a comfort to you.

They say that hindsight is 20-20. In this case, I dissagree. You couldn't have known what was happening to your cat. all creatures upon our little blue orb are complex creatures whose health depends on so many factors, everything from the genes inherited, to the substances that the parent ate or was exposed to. Thing like air quality, environmental toxins, or just plain genetic makeup all play a role on the health of every living creature, including us.

Your cat had a personality, a spirit. And just as with our own spirits, I believe that the cohesive energy that defines who we are continues after our physical bodies are no long viable. I truly don't kow if there is a heaven for cats, or even for us. I believe that there is. But I do know that energy can not be destroyed. And something goes away when the body is no longer animated. I believe that the spirit lives on.

As for you feeling sorry for yourself, or second guessing your past actions, only when you have all of the information can you look back and determine if you were right or wrong. And niether you nor I have that kind of knowledge available to use, nor does your emergency vet. He was at best rude, and was definitely irresponsible in how he treated you.

And as for spaying animals, yes it's a better solution than having loads of kittens that you can't afford, and then letting them loose as ferral cats. But it's still the same thing as getting a hysterectomy for a woman, or getting fixed as a guy. And the cat isn't given an option. It's made for him/her. I think people tend to take such things too lightly. We like to push our ideas on everybody and everything. And look where that's gotten us in this world.

You took the cat in when its life hung by a thread. You nurtured it and gave it love. That it was taken early is sorrowful as the cat was your freind. But it is certainly not your fault. You did all that was in your power, with the resources you had. To that cat, you were its hero, and more importantly, its freind.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Definately am starting to put it in perspective... spent the weekend operating a charity bar b q for the local SPCA, raised over 600$... so if I couldn't save her I'm working on some of the others. Thanks all for your support.

That is wonderful Trip!! Wow...$600 is a heap of money and will be so welcome for sure. And I just know it makes your heart warm too.:) :)

i'm sure your cat, while in your company, could not have asked for a better life

i also have love for cats

My little Tua was stolen from our place when he was four years old. He was an Affenpincher and never spent a day apart from me. I was devastated. Not a common breed here but in spite of that we never found him. That was on 8th Dec '04. Now I have Daisy, same breed, but a breeders discard. She had a c/section and all her puppies died. Daisy was a nervous wreck when she came to me, at 2 years, but slowly healed over months to a bright little personality. She still hates all men except DH and is sharing my chair as I write. Loving is always a risk, who can tell how long she will be with me.

The only person in your sad tale who should feel guilty is that dreadful vet. S/he has added immeasureably to your pain and grief in a callous and unforgivable way. I am doubly sorry for you for that.

What a great thing for you to do Trip!

I re-read your original post as this whole thread has been on my mind lately. I wasn't there and don't know the intonations used or attitude while telling you; but, do you think that the vet was simply giving you that information for future use or reference...so you would know in case you got another kitty? I was just thinking about that and thought I would mention it. I would like to think the vet wasn't trying to make you feel like a bad person but rather giving you a tip - even if it was extremely bad timing. I never knew this could happen if a cat wasn't spayed soon enough. My sister got a ferret and no one ever told her the female would die if it didn't mate by 6 months of age (or maybe it's the male, I can't remember). Well, guess what, the ferret died and THEN she was told that.

But, aside from all that your cat had a great life with you - and in the end that's all we can - love our animals and treat them well.

Back
Top Bottom