USA 2 - Ghana 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to watch play-by-play on my phone as I had a late work meeting. Hate I missed it. Those last ten minutes would have been all I really had to see.

As you may have deduced, folks over here have yet to discover the joys of the round ball football. My city hosted the USA-Nigeria friendly a couple of weeks ago, I hated I had to be out of town and miss it. However, I did get to the USA-Scotland friendly a couple of years ago and had a blast. Soccer fans really are different from the USA football fans, and in a good way.

Soccer, like many foods is an acquired taste that I've acquired. I love it, especially at the level of the World Cup. As Yogi Berra famously said "It ain't over til it's over" and, although the American team got outplayed for 80+ minutes, a win is a win, no matter how ugly. USA-USA-USA !!

I had to watch play-by-play on my phone as I had a late work meeting. Hate I missed it. Those last ten minutes would have been all I really had to see.

As you may have deduced, folks over here have yet to discover the joys of the round ball football. My city hosted the USA-Nigeria friendly a couple of weeks ago, I hated I had to be out of town and miss it. However, I did get to the USA-Scotland friendly a couple of years ago and had a blast. Soccer fans really are different from the USA football fans, and in a good way.
Yes, I realise that it isn't high on the list of adult sporting "must-does" in the USA. There seem to be quite a lot of childrens' and teenagers teams playing in various organisations and girls play I think. I wonder if some parents encourage it because it's less aggressive than American Football?

There are Women's Soccer Leagues in the UK. I think they must be mad but they probably think I was mad for horse-riding so we're probably quits :)

Last edited:
Playing soccer was mandatory while I attended Catholic middle school in Japan. For some reason I really never got into, even today. Perhaps the spanking had something to do with it...

Soccer, like many foods is an acquired taste that I've acquired. I love it, especially at the level of the World Cup. As Yogi Berra famously said "It ain't over til it's over" and, although the American team got outplayed for 80+ minutes, a win is a win, no matter how ugly. USA-USA-USA !!
Now I have to rummage around in my memory. Yogi Berra - wasn't he the chap who played that game - umm, I think it's called "rounders"? ;)

( Ed:- Mad Cook is hiding behind the sofa)

Yes, I realise that it isn't high on the list of adult sporting "must-does" in the USA. There seem to be quite a lot of childrens' and teenagers teams playing in various organisations and girls play I think. I wonder if some parents encourage it because it's less aggressive than American Football?
Childrens' soccer leagues are very popular over here (you may have heard the term "soccer mom"). My daughter played for several years. What you may find surprising is that at that age, it's pretty much entirely a girl's sport. Or at least it is where I live. I can't speak for all regions.

The moms seem to enjoy it more for the purpose of socializing with other moms.

I honestly don't know why it's never caught on in the US, or, for that matter, why American football has never caught on much outside the US.

For the most part, there is soccer fever in the USA once every four years. Then it mostly disappears. We have a professional soccer league, but it doesn't draw big crowds.

We have a massive soccer complex in our little town. Big draw, mucho dinero. Boys, girls, and adult men's leagues. We went to a match with friends once, I would much rather watch paint dry or old men fish.

Last edited:
I never watch soccer. But it was sure nice to see the USA win, when their very own coach predicted they would not win.

For the most part, there is soccer fever in the USA once every four years. Then it mostly disappears. We have a professional soccer league, but it doesn't draw big crowds.

Clearly, American football (not soccer) is America's game, over taking baseball by leaps and bounds. And rightly so as I consider baseball, watching paint dry.
Soccer is so far down on my list of favorite sports its not even an afterthought. Come September though, my excitement level increases.

I actually would enjoy "watching old men fish" :LOL:

I have enjoyed the world cup and am surprised that the USA is still in it. I grew up playing, but don't follow it like I use to.

My game of choice is Rugby. Played for years, I have to subscribe to a different cable package just to see it on TV, but, I like that the 7s format is starting to be shown on NBC, and it will be heading to the Olympics.

Soccer/futbol is certainly the world's game. I can understand how it's boring to watch, but I still prefer it, even almost over American football... I swear, if the NFL consolidate the time actually playing football, it would be like 15min of actual game play.

Soccer/futbol is certainly the world's game. I can understand how it's boring to watch, but I still prefer it, even almost over American football... I swear, if the NFL consolidate the time actually playing football, it would be like 15min of actual game play.

It takes almost 3 hours to actually play 1 hour, so I am not sure what you mean.
I hate commercials too if thats your point.

Okay, here we go USA - Germany up right now on ESPN. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes almost 3 hours to actually play 1 hour, so I am not sure what you mean.
I hate commercials too if thats your point.

Okay, here we go USA - Germany up right now on ESPN. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, of actual game play, not including the clock running, the instant replay, the time it takes for them to get back on line and get in formation, all the things that slow the pace of the actual game. There is no way that they are playing for an hour straight. Where as in Soccer, rugby, hockey, and a slew of other sports, they are almost constantly on the go.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to compare different sports. There's more constant action in soccer than in football. Sure, They're not the same game. The premises of the two games are completely different.

Childrens' soccer leagues are very popular over here (you may have heard the term "soccer mom"). My daughter played for several years. What you may find surprising is that at that age, it's pretty much entirely a girl's sport. Or at least it is where I live. I can't speak for all regions.

The moms seem to enjoy it more for the purpose of socializing with other moms.

I honestly don't know why it's never caught on in the US, or, for that matter, why American football has never caught on much outside the US.
Perhaps becaus the English, Welsh and the French has taken up rugby and perhaps American football developed from that.

IT has been in the UK for quite a long time - initially matches between groups of American service men

There used to be (and may still be an American football team in Stockport (North West England) so there must have been other teams for them to play.

NFL used to feature on television a few years ago late at night but I don't know if it still does.

There seem to be quite a few teams in the UK. I've just found this -

List of American football teams in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom