"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I survived one year of Italian Army food in the '80s, so I've nothing to fear...

Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Head Chef

My exMIL was the worst. She would get up at 3am on Thanksgiving morning to start the turkey--which would be done to perfection by 8am, but left in the oven til noon, and then set on the counter til dinner at 2pm.

After dinner, the turkey and all the trimmings were left in the kitchen, so folks could make their own sandwiches for supper. About 9 , the carcass was removed to the enclosed back porch. Years ago, before they put the double glazed windows on the porch, and before they put the water heater (makes heat) and freezer (makes heat) on the porch, it probably did keep things cool over night, but . . . .

She always wondered why I fed my kids scrambled eggs or peanut butter for supper and breakfast after Thanksgiving.

She also made jello 'salad' with shredded carrots every year, and every year, wondered why no one ate it.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I've seen shredded carrots in jello before. It might have even been served that way in school once in a while. I don't like chunks of anything in my jello though, so can't say much more other than I've seen that done. And bananas, too. Come to think of it, I wonder why the bananas never turned brown...
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Master Chef

For the most part, both sides of the family do okay with cooking. My SIL (married to my brother) is okay but then she has to feed a child with multiple food allergies (can't eat beef, tomatoes, wheat, rice, milk or dairy, and other stuff too numerous to keep track of). So she'll cook something that her child can eat to bring to family gatherings. Needless to say, it is pretty awful stuff just because of the limitations. My MIL (before her dementia set in) cooked everything to well done. She was always worried about bacteria in the food. She did okay with some dishes but turkey was always dry. She also was afraid of spices so a lot her dishes were pretty bland. But I agree with others here that it is family and that is more important than the food.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Executive Chef

My Mom, bless her heart, was a terrible cook.

As an example, she would cook beef liver at a strong simmer, for 30 minutes on each side. It came from the pan in a form that was more suitable for making shoes than for eating. Can you say chewy?

At an early age, my youngest sister and I both learned to cook out of self defence. When eating at friends homes, we discovered that foods could actually taste good and be easy to eat! They didn't have to be cooked to Sahara dryness, or shark-skin toughness.

My sister learned by taking cooking courses in high school and I learned by working in an upscale restaurant as a prep-cook for a chef, (after moving through dishwasher, busboy and waiter).

My brother and oldest sister simply stopped eating meats. They grew up thinking of meats as one of the foulest forms of food on the planet, because of the way it was cooked, not the health or humane issues.

I eat almost anything. I've only found a few foods that didn't appeal to me at all. "Uni", which is sea urchin's reproductive organs (gonads), and Fish Eyes are two of them. Just can't find a liking for either. Raw beef is another. That one is a texture issue with me. The flavor is fine. I tried Durian once and it was just nasty.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
For the most part, both sides of the family do okay with cooking. My SIL (married to my brother) is okay but then she has to feed a child with multiple food allergies (can't eat beef, tomatoes, wheat, rice, milk or dairy, and other stuff too numerous to keep track of). So she'll cook something that her child can eat to bring to family gatherings. Needless to say, it is pretty awful stuff just because of the limitations. My MIL (before her dementia set in) cooked everything to well done. She was always worried about bacteria in the food. She did okay with some dishes but turkey was always dry. She also was afraid of spices so a lot her dishes were pretty bland. But I agree with others here that it is family and that is more important than the food.
My partner's mom is the same way, no spice and no salt. She will cook a pork loin with garlic cloves, but nothing else, and she cooks it until it is too dry to swallow. She cooks thanksgiving turkey early in the day and sets it on the counter until we get there, it's usually cold by dinner.

She's kind of a terrible person, so I don't mind saying these things, lol. I usually make a better thanksgiving the next day at home.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #17
Head Chef

LOL I had a good laugh reading some of this. I'm just funny about what I eat family or whatever. ANd if I see a person cooking and their not doing it like I think they should I probably ain't go eat it, lol.

My mother was a great cook. Though it seems only me and one sister inherited those genes.

And those of you who said it's about family not the food, that ain't true. It's always about the food.....J/K...lololol.