"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

I love my gmail account. I can use it in conjunction with Outlook, which I use for my day to day email. I can file manage and delete at will, keeping my inbox to a minimum and easily organizing other topical folders. Sometimes, however, I do delete or cannot find certain past emails. When that happens, I sign on to my gmail webmail account that is unaffected by my file mismanagement on Outlook. Gmail maintains all of my history, and has a very convenient 'search' feature that will look through all of my email for a certain key word. Very cool.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Master Chef

I've been using a free Yahoo (I think they call it "Yahoo Classic) e-mail account since 2004 & love it. The calendar feature where you can send yourself reminders, post notes, etc., etc. is terrific, & the few times - maybe twice - wherein I had a glitch or a problem, customer service got in touch with me within 48 hours, which I consider pretty good for a free e-mail service.

The ads you get are a top banner & maybe one or two off to the side on the main page. They're so inconsequential I can't even really recall them.

You should be able to get e-mails sent to your mobile. I know that you can have calendar reminders sent just by clicking a box, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to also do that with e-mails. But I don't use those functions - just the regular e-mail & calendar on my PC.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Geez, I clicked sign me up and BAM! I was signed up. I guess because I was already a member of some Yahoo groups. It used that username and password.
The reason I couldn't find their email signup before was because I was trying to find it on the user group's main page. You need to go to Yahoo's main page.

So, I sent myself a test email five minutes ago to my Yahoo acct, with a smallish pic, and still haven't received it.... Maybe I need to refresh the page or something?
It always takes time getting used to new things.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep. That was it. I had to hit refresh.
This'll work!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

I use Gmail , I like it because I can get my Gmail emails thru outlook express.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I have used all of the ones mentioned and I like gmail the best by far. It is a bit different than the others and takes a little getting used to, but I think it is the most robust. I have 3 or 4 gmail accounts right now that I use for various reasons. One of the ones I have is for signing up for things where I think there is a chance my address might get spammed. Gmails spam filter works really well anyway though so spam really is not much of an issue for me anymore.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

It is always good to keep a few 'disposable' email accounts on hand, but I just use the ones my ISP provides. I don't need more than one service as my ISP allows up to 5 email addresses. I have one and DW has one that is used for personal and her business. Then we each have one that we use for signing up on the net for things, then disposable ones you could call them. When the spam gets too much, we just chance them. All of them are managed thru Outlook so even when we change the disposable ones, we don't loose any information, contacts, or saved emails.
I also have a yahoo account but never use it. Any of the online email accounts can also be run thru Outlook if that is what you want.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have hotmail, yahoo, gmail, a local one, and iwon. LOL I use my hotmail account for most things. I really like gmail (just got that one not too long ago) and may switch to it for more things. I mostly have yahoo because I belong to some yahoo groups and my daughter and I play their games. I have the iwon account mostly because I enter their daily sweepstakes (they have changed how they do it now though, and I don't go there as much. I just got the local one when we signed up for DSL there last month. I don't use it much. One thing I like about using a free one for my main email address is that if we move or if we change ISPs, I don't have to go through the hassle of giving everyone a new email address. Of all my accounts, the one I have had the most trouble with is yahoo.

Barbara
Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, figures the first one I try is the one someone had the most problems with....