"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Using free email acct

I'd like to create an email acct... yahoo, gmail, hotmail, something to that effect. I think these are supposed to be free, but maybe then they bombard you with advertising? At any rate, I believe some online orders have contributed to me being spammed on my "real" email acct.

Any suggestions? Is one different than another?

Thanks for any references.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'd like to create an email acct... yahoo, gmail, hotmail, something to that effect. I think these are supposed to be free, but maybe then they bombard you with advertising? At any rate, I believe some online orders have contributed to me being spammed on my "real" email acct.

Any suggestions? Is one different than another?

Thanks for any references.
I've got one of each of the above and few others. I like to use them for the same reason you stated.

Gmail and Yahoo filter out the spam quite well and do have settings that you can control.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Hmm, Well I have both a Hotmail account, and a Yahoo account. I don't use my Yahoo account much, but i've been using Hotmail since i was 16. You can set it to have a high filter, where you only get mails from people you know, others they get sent to a 'junk' folder.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Executive Chef

pacanis, a "free" account is a really good idea these days. I have a couple of yahoo accounts. One I use for my financial stuff so that if I change internet service providers, I don't have to change all my contact information with banks, utility companies, etc. Another one I use as my "consumer" address. Anytime I buy stuff off of an internet site or request info, etc, I use this address. I keep my main internet address mostly for personal correspondence and I email important stuff from the free accounts to this one to have as a back-up. I've had my Yahoo accounts for years.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I like my yahoo acct., nice to have - just to keep in touch or ordering all my christmas gifts !!!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I find that one of the worst offenders of propagating spam is the good meaning, but sometimes ignorant acquaintance that is a serial email 'forwarder'......

Mary Pettibone Poole
Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the responses.
So, no matter which one I go with, can I have the emails forwarded to my computer by setting up another email acct in Outlook, or do I have to access those emails from Yahoo's website (or whichever one)?

Any preferences on Google or Yahoo AAB? I couldn't even find where to sign up for Yahoo email on their site and I belong to user groups there.....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for the responses.
So, no matter which one I go with, can I have the emails forwarded to my computer by setting up another email acct in Outlook, or do I have to access those emails from Yahoo's website (or whichever one)?

Any preferences on Google or Yahoo AAB? I couldn't even find where to sign up for Yahoo email on their site and I belong to user groups there.....
You don't need to get your extra email through outlook, just go straight to the yahoo or google site.

Yahoo sign up should be at the top of Yahoo.com and click mail, you'll then have to register. If you want a gmail acct, PM me your email addy and I'll send you an invite (not necessary, but it's easier)

Mary Pettibone Poole
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Master Chef

I have a few Yahoo accounts and they are great. Just go to the mail area and you will see where to sign up. It couldn't be easier.

Since they are free, set up one on Yahoo and one on Google or another provider and see what you like best. They automatically expire if not used.

I do not know how to forward yahoo mail, but my colleage has his sent to his Blackberry. That may be a function of the Blackberry though.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you!