"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd think that with the increased competition for delivery $ that the PO would increase their coverage.

We want our stuff, and we want it as now as possible (instant gratifation).

Wouldn't it be more profitable for them to give us more, better service?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

It happens here, too, .40. When tracking a package for UPS I will see the scheduled delivery date and half the time it's the mailman bringing it.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

At one time we used to get two deliveries a day.

There will be jobs lost. Not every house gets a package delivered every day. Almost every home gets mail, even if it is junk mail. Less overtime. FedEx rates have gone up and up. And UPS has followed suit, but more slowly. The USPS is the least expensive way to ship. Thus their package delivery has increased. With e-mails recognized as a legal document by the courts, less first class mail is being sent when an e-mail will do. Unfortunately and sadly, e-mails are an acceptable means of communications including invitations. Even to weddings. Whatever happened to the written thank you note?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
At one time we used to get two deliveries a day.

There will be jobs lost. Not every house gets a package delivered every day. Almost every home gets mail, even if it is junk mail. Less overtime. FedEx rates have gone up and up. And UPS has followed suit, but more slowly. The USPS is the least expensive way to ship. Thus their package delivery has increased. With e-mails recognized as a legal document by the courts, less first class mail is being sent when an e-mail will do. Unfortunately and sadly, e-mails are an acceptable means of communications including invitations. Even to weddings. Whatever happened to the written thank you note?
The post office failed to keep up with the times, to innovate, and are paying the price. We've been calling it "Snail Mail" for years.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Head Chef

The price of postage (stamps) went up again, as well. I wouldn't mind if the delivery days were cut down to five - less dumping of junk mail & a crammed mailbox. As I understand it, the cut was made, in part, due to a suffering retirement plan. Perhaps, they could change to another plan, rather than pass the cost along to the consumer & cut their service.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Not having Saturday mail delivery is a good idea.

The packages will still be delivered.

Package only delivery will be done by fewer people and so the payroll will shrink.

I would not be surprised if that is removed in time also.

Reality is that so many people are doing their communicating and purchasing and bill paying online that it has really cut into the profitability of the USPS.

Some employees of the USPS will have their hours cut back but so has most of America. I know several people who work for USPS and believe me, they are not hurting in the $ department.

People will survive not getting mail on Saturdays and Sundays.

Now you have a reason to look forward to Mondays !!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

I do not mind at all. I am usually not home Saturdays and it seems to me that all the missing mail, if it is missing, happens on Saturday. Plus, why should poor mail people work on Saturday, when we are all of, if you work regular shedule? Let them have weekend with their families too.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Master Chef

It seems like they've gotten rid of 90% of corner mail boxes around here in recent years and now mail delivery itself has been very unpredictable and erratic. We don't even get mail delivery at all quite often during the week. No sign of mail delivery vehicle in the whole neighborhood.
Often times I'll have several pieces of stamped mail, mostly bills to pay, in my possession for a couple of days simply because I don't pass close to a mail box or see the mail man to hand him the outgoing mail.
Having said that, we still have the most efficient and the cheapest mail delivery system on this planet.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The post office failed to keep up with the times, to innovate, and are paying the price. We've been calling it "Snail Mail" for years.

The post office's problem is not failing to keep up with the times.
They've figured out how to make money and be self-sufficient.

Its the strange mandate that their retirement benefits be pre-funded that's sending them into bankruptcy.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Sometime back in the early 70's Congress changed the way the USPS was structured and started requiring them to be revenue neutral. They must pay their own way but have to have approval from Congress to do much of anything. When other businesses were restructuring in the 90's to become more efficient, the PO was restricted by Congress in how much change they could make. It is a terrible hybrid of government agency and private business and that is what is making it unprofitable (besides the benefits for union workers).